New member looking for beginner's help

  • ljl63
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2005
      Hello!

      I am a new member of this group, sort of by accident. I am a
      librarian by profession, book lover of course, and have always been a
      great admirer of marbled arts, particularly papers. I catalog a great
      many older books and my work is in the art books field.

      I have been a lampwork glass bead hobbyis for years, using marbling
      effect on many of my beads. I have found myself in the position of
      being treated for cancer with chemotherapy (my prognosis is pretty
      good) and I have decided to avoid the toxic fumes associated with
      heating glass during this period. I feel creatively stymied as well
      as need to fill some time while I cut way back on my work hours. I
      thought I might turn to marbling or other paper arts and am looking
      for a fairly simple approach to merely satisfy my own need to create,
      rather than necessarily excel.

      Is there a simple kit on the market, or a well layed out set of
      start-up directions? I'd be happy working on a very small scale, even
      using small papers for note cards, bookmarks, etc. I might even be
      able to incorporate the beads I already have on hand.

      Thanks!

      Elise
    • Stoffeez@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2005
        Galen Berry, one of the best known marblers in the country has kits for sale
        on his webpage.

        _http://members.aol.com/marbling_ (http://members.aol.com/marbling)

        He also has a fantastic book that he has written and illustrated, with step
        by step instructions for many marbled patterns. You can purchase it from his
        webpage.

        He is a great teacher, I've been to many of his classes.

        I hope his information helps you.

        Thanks
        Lorraine
        _Stoffeez@..._ (mailto:Stoffeez@...)

      • J Dolphin
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2005
          First off--Here's trusting that all interventions for your cancer treatment will be completely successful!
          Secondly--go through the files and such on the Yahoo site--to grab info for the different marblers--and --here's hoping other pros on the list will offer you help on equipment and materials!
          Jill in Ottawa