Re: Marbling Handmade papers

  • sixshort
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
      Jake, I spray only the side of the paper which is to be alumed and
      marbled. Because the Indian cotton papers were so difficult, I gave
      them a good coat of spray, but a light spraying would probably work
      just as well. To be clear, I will mention again what I use. There is
      no indication on the container about the contents- but I always spray
      outside, and try not to breathe in any of the propellants, as they are
      very toxic.
      "Helmar brand Crystal Kote, Acid Free, Matt for drawings, artwork,
      prints, photographs, documents. Permanent clear matt finish.
      Protective, non-yellowing."

      I would like to know how others manage to marble such papers with no
      trouble.

      Also, I usually lightly spray any marbled papers which I think may be
      handled.

      I remember Tom Leach's talk at the 2002 IMG, in which he showed us
      papers from which sections had been rubbed out. This is very
      convenient for touching up watercolour marbling - lightening unwanted
      dark sections, clearing away wisps of colour from calligraphic voids,
      opening up areas which will be later overmarbled etc. I wish I had
      remembered this earlier, and retrieved some disasters. I guess the
      same thing could be done with acrylic-marbled papers, but using
      methylated spirits to dissolve unwanted paint.

      I have been working hard lately at making papers for calligraphy,
      hence the need for touching up some designs.

      Would love to be a fly on the wall at your lectures. And to see your
      examples of marbling used for calligraphy. Best regards, Joan

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Benson" <handbindery@b...> wrote:
      > Joan thanks for telling us about this. We have a products here made
      by DOW called
      > Krylon. It is an acrylic resin very similar to a product called
      B-72 that is used by
      > conservators. It is dispersed in a fairly toxic cocktail of
      solvents that you don't want to
      > breathe for great lengths of time, if at all.
      >
      > Just to be clear, do you spray the upper side of the sheet that you
      are aluming? or are you
      > spraying the back side of the sheet? Both sides? It would have teh
      effect of making the
      > paper more impervious to water, preventing teh swelling of teh
      fibers, and therefore the
      > bubbles that you had trouble with.
      >
      > Someone said to me they were having problems with a new batch of
      Arches text-wove,