help

  • Judi Doud
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2005
      Hi....I am a beginning marbler of fabric. I have
      mixed my carageenan size abt.five times up to now.
      That was in the summer. I few days ago, I mixed it
      like a did the other times, but I can.t get the paint
      to spread. and much of it just sinks.

      I have looked in the two books I have, and tried
      everything they suggested, which was thinning paint,
      adding dispersant to paint, warming up size with warm
      water. nothing helps.

      I guess I will start over, but I don't want to make
      the same mistake again. Can anyone help me??

      I am working outside. Is it just too cold? I live in
      a high desert climate where temperature goes from 20
      in morning to 80 in afternoon.

      Thanks. I have enjoyed reading posts on this list.

      Judi Doud
      S. Central Ore.

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2005
        > Hi....I am a beginning marbler of fabric. I have
        > mixed my carageenan size abt.five times up to now.
        > That was in the summer. I few days ago, I mixed it
        > like a did the other times, but I can.t get the paint
        > to spread. and much of it just sinks.
        >
        > I have looked in the two books I have, and tried
        > everything they suggested, which was thinning paint,
        > adding dispersant to paint, warming up size with warm
        > water. nothing helps.
        >
        > I guess I will start over, but I don't want to make
        > the same mistake again. Can anyone help me??
        >
        > I am working outside. Is it just too cold? I live in
        > a high desert climate where temperature goes from 20
        > in morning to 80 in afternoon.
        >
        > Thanks. I have enjoyed reading posts on this list.
        >
        > Judi Doud
        > S. Central Ore.

        > chool&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Art+design&w5=Graphic+art+de
        > sign+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=154&.sig=uWDJRAXOqXT3tQmBp-
        > YlNw> Art design class
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+design+class&w1=Art+and+design+school
        > &w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Art+design&w5=Graphic+art+design+
        > program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=154&.sig=VjtldNeYTfGeDp0E9kRQIQ>
        > Art design degree
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+design+degree&w1=Art+and+design+schoo
        > l&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Art+design&w5=Graphic+art+design
        > +program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=154&.sig=09Vc9QgJu8rNv-EadbJumA
        > >
        > Art design
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+design&w1=Art+and+design+school&w2=Ar
        > t+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Art+design&w5=Graphic+art+design+progra
        > m&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=154&.sig=es3DG2C5N-JWCOV13NKCdA>
        > Graphic art design program
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graphic+art+design+program&w1=Art+and+des
        > ign+school&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Art+design&w5=Graphic+a
        > rt+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=154&.sig=RJYLeqzlgZSBi
        > s69iCfixw> School of graphic art design
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=School+of+graphic+art+design&w1=Art+and+d
        > esign+school&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Art+design&w5=Graphic
        > +art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=154&.sig=ok-C6jEPeOd
        > 5new-5gYJiQ>
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        > the web.
        > *
        > *
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Hi, There are many factors and none of them the same for everyone! But, I
        do think the temperature is your problem. My tray has a cold corner which
        no matter what order I lay the paints...nothing spread. So, for years I ran
        an electric oil heater under that corner to solve the problem. I never
        could get really good results being outside...too many variables. Good
        Luck, Gail

      • Ky Lee
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2005
          Dear Judi Doud,

          On my experience, I found that the size could be deteorated its
          viscosity to low grade make paint-sinking, no spreading, poor
          coloring specially in hot weather.

          Ky Lee, Seoul Korea

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@s...>
          wrote:

          > > Hi....I am a beginning marbler of fabric. I have
          > > mixed my carageenan size abt.five times up to now.
          > > That was in the summer. I few days ago, I mixed it
          > > like a did the other times, but I can.t get the paint
          > > to spread. and much of it just sinks.
          > >
          > > I have looked in the two books I have, and tried
          > > everything they suggested, which was thinning paint,
          > > adding dispersant to paint, warming up size with warm
          > > water. nothing helps.
          > >
          > > I guess I will start over, but I don't want to make
          > > the same mistake again. Can anyone help me??
          > >
          > > I am working outside. Is it just too cold? I live in
          > > a high desert climate where temperature goes from 20
          > > in morning to 80 in afternoon.
          > >
          > > Thanks. I have enjoyed reading posts on this list.
          > >
          > > Judi Doud
          > > S. Central Ore.

          t=ms&k=Art+and+design+school&w1=Art+and+design+s

          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marbling> " on
          > > the web.
          > > *
          > > *
          Service

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2005
            What paints are you using? I my experience sinking paint is often due to making the size too thick as well as not adjusting paints right. Are you using acrylics? If so use PhotoFlo as a dispersant, not ox gall.

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>, Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@s<mailto:gailmackenzi@s>...>

            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marbling<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marbling>> " on
            > > the web.
            > > *
            > > *
            Service
            > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>> .
            > >

            > Hi, There are many factors and none of them the same for
            everyone! But, I
            > do think the temperature is your problem. My tray has a cold
            corner which
            > no matter what order I lay the paints...nothing spread. So, for
            years I ran
            > an electric oil heater under that corner to solve the problem. I
            never
            > could get really good results being outside...too many variables.
            Good
            > Luck, Gail

          • Sue Cole
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2013
              look on facebook for Danny Ebru - I believe he's in SF.  I tried to contact Ingrid at Moth Marblers but she was not interested in seeing people, which is unfortunate since I'm a big admirer of hers and was there visiting.
              Sue
            • kyruane
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 7, 2013
                Thank you Sue! I too, tried to get in with Ingrid and was told she prefers to work alone. Such a shame since it clearly says in her website profile that she too had a hard time finding a mentor and when she did, it changed her life. I was hoping she would pay that forward. I guess I had no idea just how hard it is to find local marblers - it really is a dying art!
              • Curtis Splan
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 7, 2013
                  Hi all, I'm in the Reno-Tahoe area if anyone wants to meet-up. I'm still a beginner and would welcome anyone!