History of marbling

  • Luiseach@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2005
      I put together a presentation on the history of marbling a few years ago and
      most of my information came from Ink & Gall magazine (sigh, miss it so much)
      and the internet. Unfortunately, I had a hard drive go bad, so I don't have
      the bibliography anymore, but try googling [marbling history Turkey] and you
      should get some places to start.

      Lucinda

    • Aygul Ucar
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
        Hi everyone,

        I am a new member of this group. I am interested in marbling. Last year I took a course for 8 months on marbling and I realized that marbling (or ebru as we say in Turkey) is not an art forming with just paint and brush. But it made with one's own spirit and enthusiasm. It reflects the feelings and emotions to the water. It is said that old masters of ebru could understand which mood the pupil had by looking at the paper he did.

        I am happy to see that there are people who love marbling, which is a tradional Turkish art,not only in Turkey but also in other countries. I believe I will learn a lot of thing from you.

        I want to share a web link about marbling. It is Alparslan Babaoglu's site. He is one of the great masters of marbling. He explains the history of marbling, materials and other things. And there is also a gallery. I hope you enjoy it.

        http://www.geleneksel-ebru.com/english/eng.htm

        Aygul Ucar

      • katherine coddington
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
          Thank you so much for the link to this fascinating site. I too, am
          new to this art, and believe that even if we don't do things in the
          traditional way, it is important to learn about it, to understand
          where it came from, and to know the history of it. Thank you again.

          Katherine