Marbling Handmade papers

  • sixshort
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2005
      Oops! I made a very bad mistake, saying that I use repositioning
      spray for handmade papers! That would make a terrible mess. I meant
      to say an artists' fixative matt spray, which lightly seals the surface.

      The repositioning spray which has lodged in my brain is for attaching
      masking paper before marbling. I have been using it for the past
      week, and it has obviously addled my senses.

      Thanks for the comments, Monita. I haven't tried acrylics for my
      papers - the acrylics available in Australia are not pleasant to work
      with, except for fabric. Will keep it in mind next time I get my
      acrylics out. Joan
    • Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2005
        Joan thanks for telling us about this. We have a products here made by DOW called
        Krylon. It is an acrylic resin very similar to a product called B-72 that is used by
        conservators. It is dispersed in a fairly toxic cocktail of solvents that you don't want to
        breathe for great lengths of time, if at all.

        Just to be clear, do you spray the upper side of the sheet that you are aluming? or are you
        spraying the back side of the sheet? Both sides? It would have teh effect of making the
        paper more impervious to water, preventing teh swelling of teh fibers, and therefore the
        bubbles that you had trouble with.

        Someone said to me they were having problems with a new batch of Arches text-wove,
        that is now seems thinner than before. I have had this trouble with some types of papaers
        that had a little recycled content as well. Maybe a quick spray would help to stabilize the
        sheet?

        thanks joan!

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "sixshort" <joan@m...> wrote:
        > Oops! I made a very bad mistake, saying that I use repositioning
        > spray for handmade papers! That would make a terrible mess. I meant
        > to say an artists' fixative matt spray, which lightly seals the surface.
        >
        > The repositioning spray which has lodged in my brain is for attaching
        > masking paper before marbling. I have been using it for the past
        > week, and it has obviously addled my senses.
        >
        > Thanks for the comments, Monita. I haven't tried acrylics for my
        > papers - the acrylics available in Australia are not pleasant to work
        > with, except for fabric. Will keep it in mind next time I get my
        > acrylics out. Joan
      • sixshort
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
          Jake, I spray only the side of the paper which is to be alumed and
          marbled. Because the Indian cotton papers were so difficult, I gave
          them a good coat of spray, but a light spraying would probably work
          just as well. To be clear, I will mention again what I use. There is
          no indication on the container about the contents- but I always spray
          outside, and try not to breathe in any of the propellants, as they are
          very toxic.
          "Helmar brand Crystal Kote, Acid Free, Matt for drawings, artwork,
          prints, photographs, documents. Permanent clear matt finish.
          Protective, non-yellowing."

          I would like to know how others manage to marble such papers with no
          trouble.

          Also, I usually lightly spray any marbled papers which I think may be
          handled.

          I remember Tom Leach's talk at the 2002 IMG, in which he showed us
          papers from which sections had been rubbed out. This is very
          convenient for touching up watercolour marbling - lightening unwanted
          dark sections, clearing away wisps of colour from calligraphic voids,
          opening up areas which will be later overmarbled etc. I wish I had
          remembered this earlier, and retrieved some disasters. I guess the
          same thing could be done with acrylic-marbled papers, but using
          methylated spirits to dissolve unwanted paint.

          I have been working hard lately at making papers for calligraphy,
          hence the need for touching up some designs.

          Would love to be a fly on the wall at your lectures. And to see your
          examples of marbling used for calligraphy. Best regards, Joan