Re: [Marbling] Digest Number 981

  • leech541@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2005
      Dear Joan - A local art supply store here in Santa Fe is closing it's doors and had a sale on papers.I just bought some Indian handmades to try to figure out the problem. As always though, my own handmades marble like a dream, so it is not the fault of handmade paper in general. Stay tuned! tom

      From: "Jake Benson" <handbindery@...>
      2. Marbling handmade paper
      From: "sixshort" <joan@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:19:58 -0000
      From: "Jake Benson" <handbindery@...>
      Subject: Issue of ANITKA magazine featuring ebru for sale on eBay

      Hello everyone,

      I have posted an extra copy of Antika Magazine up for auction on
      eBay. The issue is
      Number 14, May 1986 and it features an article on Turkish ebru
      marbling in both English
      and Turkish. The cover features an example of ebru found in a copy
      of Fuzuli's Hadikat us
      Süeda dated to 1596. The article was written by Isik Yazan, the
      owner of the
      manuscript. He attributes the ebru to "Shebek" who is mentioned
      posthoumously in the
      Ottoman Technical account Tertib Risale-i Ebri. The issue also
      features an article on
      ottoman murakka albums.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6979458635

      Happy bidding!

      Jake Benson

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 02:25:45 -0000
      From: "sixshort" <joan@...>
      Subject: Marbling handmade paper

      Hello fellow paper decorators,
      Some years back we had much discussion about marbling handmade
      papers, with much input from Jake Benson and Tom Leech. After many
      trials I have finally found something that works. I spray the paper
      with a matt finishing spray, alum the paper and allow to dry, flatten
      it then marble. This works even with the notorious Indian pure cotton
      handmade papers, which usually produce those blotchy, raggedy voids.
      I found that an overmarbling also works quite well, but can still
      leave the occasional void. The problem of a slightly uneven, textured
      surface remains, but this can be every effective.

      Just another thing to file away in your brain!
      Happy marbling, Joan Ajala

    • sixshort
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2005
        Dear Tom, Good to hear from you. What type of paint do you use? I
        have only tried watercolours from Colophon and from Iris Nevins, as
        well as gouache. Apparently your papers don't need any special
        preparation - is that right? I would love to be able to marble my
        papers without all this fuss. Joan

      • James M Mahoney
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2005
          Just an additional comment from another papermaker - I, too, marble my
          own handmade papers and have never had any problems like that (I use
          mainly Golden Fluid Acrylics, but have used other commercial acrylics as
          well with the same good results). (Hi, Tom)
          Monita Mahoney