Re: thank you to everyone

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2005
      Laura, I do not want to discourage you, but please do not put too much commercial hope
      in the BL, Olga Hirsch etc. While the collection is certainly extraordinarily informative, and
      many of the famous fotos in the famous book are taken from items housed in the old
      cupboard Mrs. Hirsch bequeathed to the BL together with the collection, the collection is
      not a thing that is very much in the foreground in the BL. The curator of bindings and
      artists books has adopted the collection and looks after it with care and attention, but that
      is about all. Gifts from several paper decorators and researchers are rolled up and housed
      in a cupboard with reference books for want of anything else to put them. Some time ago,
      someone made solander boxes for Mrs. Hirsch's books in the collection (oh, wonderful
      books!!!! Enough for a restorer like me to get drunk on, only I am always already drunk
      from the boxes and folders of papers I had looked through before), but the BL as an
      institution has nothing in the kind of a special interest in the collection and, anyway, no
      money to do anything.
      (Don't forget, decorated paper is the world for us, but for the world it is just another of
      these exotic things)

      What they'd need is a historian-restorer-conservator-cum experienced decorated paper
      maker who is willing and able to spend a year working full time, maybe for a thesis. 'How
      to organize and accomplish the retrieval, conservation and housing of a historical
      collection of decorated papers' or something of that kind.

      As to museum shops, well, you can't but try. But don't be disappointed when you are
      turned down. There are several professional and well established marblers in England.

      Susanne Krause