Re: thank you to everyone

  • carolevhoof
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2005
      I have a balance disorder that makes things a little more difficult. I
      walk with a cane. But I put all my best energy into the hour a day
      that I spend in the bindery - I marble papers for antique books, and
      restore the books myself. It is very rewarding work, and I haven't
      figured out how to do it sitting...so I can only work for an hour at a
      time.

      I'd be glad for any more tips like Laura's.

      Carole Vanderhoof
    • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2005
        Laura, I do not want to discourage you, but please do not put too much commercial hope
        in the BL, Olga Hirsch etc. While the collection is certainly extraordinarily informative, and
        many of the famous fotos in the famous book are taken from items housed in the old
        cupboard Mrs. Hirsch bequeathed to the BL together with the collection, the collection is
        not a thing that is very much in the foreground in the BL. The curator of bindings and
        artists books has adopted the collection and looks after it with care and attention, but that
        is about all. Gifts from several paper decorators and researchers are rolled up and housed
        in a cupboard with reference books for want of anything else to put them. Some time ago,
        someone made solander boxes for Mrs. Hirsch's books in the collection (oh, wonderful
        books!!!! Enough for a restorer like me to get drunk on, only I am always already drunk
        from the boxes and folders of papers I had looked through before), but the BL as an
        institution has nothing in the kind of a special interest in the collection and, anyway, no
        money to do anything.
        (Don't forget, decorated paper is the world for us, but for the world it is just another of
        these exotic things)

        What they'd need is a historian-restorer-conservator-cum experienced decorated paper
        maker who is willing and able to spend a year working full time, maybe for a thesis. 'How
        to organize and accomplish the retrieval, conservation and housing of a historical
        collection of decorated papers' or something of that kind.

        As to museum shops, well, you can't but try. But don't be disappointed when you are
        turned down. There are several professional and well established marblers in England.

        Susanne Krause