acid-free marbling

  • carolevhoof
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2005
      I do antique book restoration and make my own marbled endpapers and
      board papers for the books that I rebind.

      I have seen advertised in Archival catalogs hand marbled paper that
      they claim is alum free and acid free.

      Does anyone know how they achieve this?

      Carole Vanderhoof
      Lonely Pine Bindery
      http://lonelypine.ce-service.biz
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 24, 2005
        either it is a real absorbent paper or they are using acrylics, some of which seem to not need alum on some papers. The "somes" and the "what paper" etc. I don't know many details, except that with my acrylics I can often go alum free if the paper is right and the paints rather thin...though still too vibrant to be called "traditional" in my humble opinion, at least color wise. I would use acrylics if only I could do the proper shell and stormont and other traditional patterns with them, and to make them have the look of a real 1790s-1860s book, which I can't do with any of the acrylics. Water color seems the only way, and yes, it needs alum. I believe the papers you refer to are acrylic. Why not ask the maker.

        Also they may be using a different mordant you don't know about and they are not telling, and who knows if it is better or worse than alum. Also, Don Guyot's theory after much investigation, was that the alum protects the papers. The marbling seems to have survived nicely where the rest of many books have fallen apart.

        I use archival naturText and the non marbled side that goes on the book certainly is acid free.

        iris nevisn
        I do antique book restoration and make my own marbled endpapers and
        board papers for the books that I rebind.

        I have seen advertised in Archival catalogs hand marbled paper that
        they claim is alum free and acid free.

        Does anyone know how they achieve this?

        Carole Vanderhoof
        Lonely Pine Bindery
        http://lonelypine.ce-service.biz<http://lonelypine.ce-service.biz/>

      • carolevhoof
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 24, 2005
          What kind of alum is best for watercolor marbling?
          Carole

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@v...> wrote:
          > either it is a real absorbent paper or they are using acrylics, some
          of which seem to not need alum on some papers. The "somes" and the
          "what paper" etc. I don't know many details, except that with my
          <<snipped>>