Re: [Marbling] thank you to everyone

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2005
      Just raise the table to the right height, it should help a lot. Personally I am one of the lucky ones, marbled over 27 years, as my main job and never get back problems (hope I didn't just jinx my luck by saying that!!) I do have a pinched nerve in a toe but with the right shoes it's not a big problem. My height is average, 5'5 and I still need a slightly higher than normal table, so that's how it's been for ages.

      iris nevins.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2005
        I have a balance disorder that makes things a little more difficult. I
        walk with a cane. But I put all my best energy into the hour a day
        that I spend in the bindery - I marble papers for antique books, and
        restore the books myself. It is very rewarding work, and I haven't
        figured out how to do it sitting...so I can only work for an hour at a
        time.

        I'd be glad for any more tips like Laura's.

        Carole Vanderhoof
      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 24, 2005
          Laura, I do not want to discourage you, but please do not put too much commercial hope
          in the BL, Olga Hirsch etc. While the collection is certainly extraordinarily informative, and
          many of the famous fotos in the famous book are taken from items housed in the old
          cupboard Mrs. Hirsch bequeathed to the BL together with the collection, the collection is
          not a thing that is very much in the foreground in the BL. The curator of bindings and
          artists books has adopted the collection and looks after it with care and attention, but that
          is about all. Gifts from several paper decorators and researchers are rolled up and housed
          in a cupboard with reference books for want of anything else to put them. Some time ago,
          someone made solander boxes for Mrs. Hirsch's books in the collection (oh, wonderful
          books!!!! Enough for a restorer like me to get drunk on, only I am always already drunk
          from the boxes and folders of papers I had looked through before), but the BL as an
          institution has nothing in the kind of a special interest in the collection and, anyway, no
          money to do anything.
          (Don't forget, decorated paper is the world for us, but for the world it is just another of
          these exotic things)

          What they'd need is a historian-restorer-conservator-cum experienced decorated paper
          maker who is willing and able to spend a year working full time, maybe for a thesis. 'How
          to organize and accomplish the retrieval, conservation and housing of a historical
          collection of decorated papers' or something of that kind.

          As to museum shops, well, you can't but try. But don't be disappointed when you are
          turned down. There are several professional and well established marblers in England.

          Susanne Krause