Re: ox gall

  • carolevhoof
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2005
      I have another batch of Ox Gall ready to sell. 1/2 pint for $15.

      Carole Vanderhoof
      http://lonelypine.ce-service.biz
    • Sue Cole
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 12, 2011
        I'm sure other members will chine in as well, but ox gall is meant for
        watercolors. For acrylics, it's better to use photo flo or acrylic flow
        release by Golden paints. You mix it up in a seperate bottle about a
        teaspoon to 2 oz of water, then add that to the acrylics a drop or two at a
        time until you get the results that you want. I thin the acrylic down to
        about the consistency of skim milk first with water. If you get airbrush
        acrylics, you can use most of them straight from the bottle because they are
        thinner. I usually get the regular acrylic paints, then thin them because
        it is more economical. According to Iris Nevins, I believe, you can also
        use Palmolive Pure and Clear dishwashing liquid a drop or two in the 2 oz
        of water. You get the kind that is clear and has no scent or additives.
        Wwhat it does is to act as a surfactant - to break down the surface tension
        of the paint, so it will spread more easily. Synthrapol is also a
        surfactant and is very concentrated.
        HTH
        Sue

      • Lilly Thingz
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
          Hi there people

          I got the book by Gabrielle Grunebaum how to marbelize Paper and she mentions Ox Gall.  I was wondering is that the same ox gall I use in painting with watercolours and  gouache?

          thank you kindly

          L~

        • John Goode
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
            Hello
            The windsor newton brand is watered down and I found it not to marble well.
            Colophon has nice ox gall.
            John Goode

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
              What is in the arts stores is weak. Colophon and I also sell the "real thing" for marbling. Better to stick with the few marbling suppliers such as us and a few others because we are constantly using and testing the material we sell. We can also troubleshoot any problems you have for that reason.\

              Iris Nevins
              www.marblingpaper.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
                Thank you John and Iris,  I didn't think that they would diminish it but it does make sense.
                 I guess Basic Crafts Co in NYC is gone as well?  Gabriele mentions it in her Supply Sources
                but I could not find it, but then again Grunebaum's book is 30 years old.

                Lilly
                : irisnevins <irisnevins@...>

              • D or Jer Guffey
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
                  I marble with acrylics and they do not need additional oxgall...

                  d.guffey

                • anthonianthonianthoni
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 25, 2013
                    Yes and No.
                    The ox-gall is indeed the bile-juice of the ox, cow, calf, bull &c. the same product is used both in watercolours & marbling. The only difference is that the stuff sold for use in W/ colour tends to be weaker than that sold for marbling.
                    However, the bile juice of the cow does not need to be used. It appears that any beast which has a gall can make perfectly servicable stuff for marbling. I have even heard that the finest gall for marbling comes from the gallbladder of a fish.