No Subject

  • DKMaurer1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2000
      Hello Jill,

      When paste papers are made with paste that has been applied in a thin coat,
      they can be very smooth with very little texture (actually the very high loft
      papers are often a problem for bookbinders because they tend to crack when
      doing a turn-over.) Anyway, although I have had success marbling over paste
      with oils, I meant to say that the reverse -- doing paste over marbling is
      best for working with watercolor marbled designs. I usually start with a
      basic gel-get pattern and then do a simple wavy combed design on top of it.
      It produces an image that looks like a surrealistic hilly landscape or a
      foreboding sky depending upon colors used. (There's an example of this on
      p.78 of PAPER ART, if you or your library has it.) Sorry, I'm not set up to
      upload images yet.) Diane
    • DKMaurer1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2000
        Hello Evi --

        You asked whether the books I wrote are still in print. Marbling-A Complete
        Guide is out of print, but The Ultimate Marbling Handbook is a bigger and
        better book with examples of work and innovative techniques from marblers
        around the world, including Iris and Galen. It was published by
        Watson-Guptill in 1999 and should be available in most bookstores for $24.95.
        Paper Art, the other book I mentioned, came out in '97 and is available for
        $27.50 (Same publisher.) Paper Art deals with papermaking and many
        different types of paper decorating including suminagashi and oil color
        marbling, but doesn't go into watercolor marbling. You can get autographed
        copies directly from me and I'll wave shipping fees ( alas,US only) for list
        members. If you're interested, you can E-mail me and I'll give you ordering
        info.

        Diane Maurer
      • Evi Parissi
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2000
          Dear Diane,
          Thank you for taking the time to answer my message. I would love to have
          autographed copies of your books but by the time I received your message I
          had already ordered them from Amazon.com . I'm sure I'll enjoy both books.
          Evi

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2000
            Hello Marbling Friends,

            Just wanted to clarify that the suminagashi site is not mine, nor is the
            artwork an example of my suminagashi marbling. Someone has rather crudely
            paraphrased parts of my first marbling book and misspelled my name when
            showing a copy of THE ULTIMATE MARBLING HANDBOOK. (It's Maurer-Mathison) Hope
            to have a website showing my work with a link to my marbling supply business
            soon. By the way, in the good ole days we were so cavalier about the hazards
            of alum that when we or one of our students weren't sure which end of the
            alumed paper was up we'd stick our tongue on the sheet to taste the correct
            side. My current excuse for the CRS syndrome.....
          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2000
              so--i wonder who owns the site then?
              Jill

            • dkmaurer1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2002
                Hi Carol,

                I, too, found your post interesting....How long do you have to wait for the
                Createx holes to disappear? I have some Createx that is ten years old and
                still works fine, but the newer paints have more and more hole problems.
                When I complained and talked to the tech people, they replaced all the paint,
                but the new shipment had even larger holes, approaching swiss cheese size!
                Its been sitting around my studio for months, but still seems to have the
                problem. Someone (Laura perhaps?) mentioned that it might be due to an
                anti-foaming agent paint manufacturers sometimes put in. Now we need an anti
                anti-foaming agent.....

                Regards,
                Diane
              • leech541@aol.com