Re: [Marbling] (unknown)

  • gretchen vansant
    Message 1 of 22 , May 12, 2005
      Iris ,I'm purposely using the nature text,on your recomendation! So lets see! Thanks! Gretchen

      irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote:when I use my own watercolor paints I hang them right up, you just have to get a feel for what the right amount of paint is. If you want/need to rinse I lay them on a slanted board in a big sink and you can just gently pour water over them. Also most American made papers nowadays don't hold the paints as well if at all.

      iris nevins
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 16, 2005
        Gretchen....ya think maybe they changed the paint formula? What brand...are others having the same problems with new batches of the stuff? Do you use methyl cel or carrageenan...maybe you got a different grade by accident. Check with the suppliers.Or have you?

        Iris NEvins

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 16, 2005
          I'm useing everything from before I moved. So my paints are low in the bottle , perhapes they got warm when transported accross the country. But I really think its the calcium ,and the temp of the room. I should get some "testing tape?" to test the water ,or the size. Whats the proper Number for alkalitity? I am a methol celulose user. thanks for any help gretchen

          irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote: Gretchen....ya think maybe they changed the paint formula? What brand...are others having the same problems with new batches of the stuff? Do you use methyl cel or carrageenan...maybe you got a different grade by accident. Check with the suppliers.Or have you?

          Iris NEvins

          Thank you everyone, again I'm trying to solve paint dropping problem. I'm doing everything the same,even more dispersent ,but no luck. First I'm gonna try warming up the room alittle more, afilter on the water source,new paints, If it comes down to it bottled distilled water. But alas using bottled water IS expensive for me. I use 22-26 gallons ,but its better than wasting time energy and supplies! Gretchen

        • Gail MacKenzie
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 17, 2005
            > I'm useing everything from before I moved. So my paints are low in the bottle
            > , perhapes they got warm when transported accross the country. But I really
            > think its the calcium ,and the temp of the room. I should get some "testing
            > tape?" to test the water ,or the size. Whats the proper Number for alkalitity?
            > I am a methol celulose user. thanks for any help gretchen
            >
            > irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote: Gretchen....ya think maybe they
            > changed the paint formula? What brand...are others having the same problems
            > with new batches of the stuff? Do you use methyl cel or carrageenan...maybe
            > you got a different grade by accident. Check with the suppliers.Or have you?
            >
            > Iris NEvins

            Yes, Gretchen, I think that Calgon has a product that will help. First,
            what paints and type of methyl cel are you using? It¹s hard to test the Ph
            of the paints and I have yet to find a company that will tell me the Ph of
            their products other than Ruppert, Gibbon and Spider in Northern CA...but,
            they do have an 800 number.

            Anyhow, the Calgon product is available by mail through their internet site.
            It is the powdered form that comes in a box. I used to mix 4 gallons of
            (very hard) water as cold as possible with one level cup of JM 5 methyl cel
            and quickly stir in one level tablespoon of the calgon powder. It¹s the
            most perfect product that I could find (and they removed the perfume about
            10 years ago) The ideal Ph should be between 6-7 and the temperature of
            everything above 65degrees. Iris and I had an interesting discussion once,
            about how different our ideal conditions for marbling were!! Good luck
            again. And to Iris...I can¹t wait to order the new CD!!

          • carylhanc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 17, 2005
              In a message dated 11/17/05 10:54:13 AM, gailmackenzi@... writes:

              > I used to mix 4 gallons of
              > (very hard) water as cold as possible with one level cup of JM 5 methyl cel
              > and quickly stir in one level tablespoon of the calgon powder. It〓s the
              > most perfect product that I could find (and they removed the perfume about
              > 10 years ago) The ideal Ph should be between 6-7

              Hi!
              This is interesting information about dissolving methylcel. Every package
              of methylcel that I have ever bought has you add non-sudsing ammonia, from 1
              tsp to 1 TBSP/gallon of water to dissolve the methylcel, which raises the pH
              significantly - anywhere from 8 to 10+. Some instructions, then have you lower
              the pH back to a more neutral pH by adding vinegar.

              There must be many types/formulations of methylcel....
              Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

            • Gail MacKenzie
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 17, 2005

                > In a message dated 11/17/05 10:54:13 AM, gailmackenzi@... writes:
                >

                >> > I used to mix 4 gallons of
                >> > (very hard) water as cold as possible with one level cup of JM 5 methyl cel
                >> > and quickly stir in one level tablespoon of the calgon powder. It?s the
                >> > most perfect product that I could find (and they removed the perfume about
                >> > 10 years ago) The ideal Ph should be between 6-7
                >> >

                > Hi!
                > This is interesting information about dissolving methylcel. Every package
                > of methylcel that I have ever bought has you add non-sudsing ammonia, from 1
                > tsp to 1 TBSP/gallon of water to dissolve the methylcel, which raises the pH
                > significantly - anywhere from 8 to 10+. Some instructions, then have you
                > lower
                > the pH back to a more neutral pH by adding vinegar.
                >
                > There must be many types/formulations of methylcel....
                > Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

                > Art and design school
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+and+design+school&w1=Art+and+design+s
                > chool&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5=G
                > raphic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=VEn3B
                > f6q4tx50zJBMc0tPQ> Art design class
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+design+class&w1=Art+and+design+school
                > &w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5=Graphi
                > c+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=uVoEvyBiG5
                > tobVaugf5yxg> Art design degree
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+design+degree&w1=Art+and+design+schoo
                > l&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5=Graph
                > ic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=YcwtrwxYg
                > 5nhZe76n6GX2g>
                > Game art design college
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Game+art+design+college&w1=Art+and+design
                > +school&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5
                > =Graphic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=st8
                > Lda3OEbZopG0BVvmdUw> Graphic art design program
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graphic+art+design+program&w1=Art+and+des
                > ign+school&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college
                > &w5=Graphic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=
                > UFSgECyK5CHf1GRuAUS9WA> School of graphic art design
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=School+of+graphic+art+design&w1=Art+and+d
                > esign+school&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+colle
                > ge&w5=Graphic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.si
                > g=is7a4aocJ9woY80pJI7t>
                >
                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                > the web.
                > *
                > *
                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                Opps!! you¹re right. Then, after stirring, I add 1/4 cup white vinegar to
                rebalance the Ph. The calgon powder raises the Ph besides softening the
                water. You have to raise the PH to get the methyl cel to stay in
                suspension. There are at least a dozen different kinds of methyl
                cel....from ice cream and instant pudding thickeners to making the water at
                water slides more slippery!!

              • carylhanc@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 17, 2005
                  In a message dated 11/17/05 4:16:29 PM, gailmackenzi@... writes:

                  > Opps!! you〓re right. Then, after stirring, I add 1/4 cup white vinegar to
                  > rebalance the Ph. The calgon powder raises the Ph besides softening the
                  > water. You have to raise the PH to get the methyl cel to stay in
                  > suspension.

                  Hi!
                  Whew! Thanks, Gail. I did not know that the calgon powder raised the pH,
                  and figured I was missing something really important!
                  Caryl Hancock in frigid Indianapolis

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 4, 2010
                    Lovely work!!!