Re: How to Learn to Marble

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 12 , May 11, 2005
      Magda - if you are in Canada, try to find help from the cbbag, that is the association of
      Canadian bookbinders. From what I hear, they are interested and 'approachable'. They
      have a website.

      Susanne Krause

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Magda Foldi <mici_ke@y...> wrote:

      > --- Guffey <dguff@h...> wrote:
      > Hi Guffey and everyone else who answered,
      >
      > Thanks for taking the time. I found your letter very
      > interesting Guffey:-) I believe most of what you wrote
      > about marbling applies to all the other arts as well.
      > The first most important prerequisite in any art is
      > the love for it the deep passion for it and art since
      > it is a creative endevour is never ending when it
      > comes to newness and experimenting:-)
      > My first interest is paper making and ofcourse paper
      > is the first in line for many arts.
      > I will look for the books you have suggested and I
      > have been looking around for the video on marbling and
      > found it before I joined this group.
      >
      > I live in Montreal, Quebec so if there is anyone else
      > on board from here or if anyone has knowledge of
      > classes in Montreal please let me know.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Magda
      >

      > __________________________________
      > Yahoo! Mail Mobile
      > http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
    • Magda Foldi
      Message 2 of 12 , May 11, 2005
        Hi Suzanne,

        Thank you for your suggestion, I was actually a member
        of the CBBAG and am doing the home study course of
        bookbinding. I did not pay my dues this year for
        financial reasons, I had a lot of unexpected expenses
        come up, however I will send in my membership fee
        because they are a huge resource of information on
        book and paper arts. They are situated in Toronto and
        I was hoping to find something here in Montreal as far
        as a real live demonstration goes. We have a great
        place that is called Papier au Japonais. It is a small
        store that sells Japanese papers, but the great thing
        about them is that they offer a variety of paper
        related courses. So I will inquire with them and if
        they do not offer marbling maybe it is a good time to
        suggest it to them to find a teacher:-)

        Once again thanks
        Magda
        --- hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        <hamburgerbuntpapier@...> wrote:
        > Magda - if you are in Canada, try to find help from
        > the cbbag, that is the association of
        > Canadian bookbinders. From what I hear, they are
        > interested and 'approachable'. They
        > have a website.
        >
        > Susanne Krause

        Yahoo! Mail
      • J Dolphin
        Message 3 of 12 , May 11, 2005
          Lucie Lapierre is close to Montreal-and is on this list-and as far as I know-will or can or probably is teaching...............Lucie? You OUT here?

          Jill
          Ottawa

          Thank you for your suggestion, I was actually a member
          of the CBBAG and am doing the home study course of
          bookbinding. I did not pay my dues this year for
          financial reasons, I had a lot of unexpected expenses
          come up, however I will send in my membership fee
          because they are a huge resource of information on
          book and paper arts. They are situated in Toronto and
          I was hoping to find something here in Montreal as far
          as a real live demonstration goes. We have a great
          place that is called Papier au Japonais. It is a small
          store that sells Japanese papers, but the great thing
          about them is that they offer a variety of paper
          related courses. So I will inquire with them and if
          they do not offer marbling maybe it is a good time to
          suggest it to them to find a teacher:-)

          Once again thanks
          Magda
          --- hamburgerbuntpapier_de
          <hamburgerbuntpapier@...> wrote:
          > Magda - if you are in Canada, try to find help from
          > the cbbag, that is the association of
          > Canadian bookbinders. From what I hear, they are
          > interested and 'approachable'. They
          > have a website.
          >
          > Susanne Krause

          Yahoo! Mail

        • Lokman Torun
          Message 4 of 12 , May 28, 2005
            Hi to all,

            I was wonderin if anybody in the list applied gold leaf on paper. Any suggestions on how to do it?

            Thanks,

            Lokman

          • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
            Message 5 of 12 , May 29, 2005
              Hi Lokman,
              basically, it is done like any other gilding or finishing. What you need is a suitable glaire or
              other 'adhesive' to make your gold leaf (in the vast majority of cases, it will be not real
              gold but some other metal) hold on to the paper and stay there. Ask a gilder in your
              country, they will be the people to ask for suppliers. Brush on whatever it is thinly and in a
              thin solution and lay on your metal, dab with cotton wool. Full stop.
              Or was it something like brocaded paper you were thinking about? Difficult to do, needs
              an etching press or something of that kind, paper is very prone to scuffing.

              Susanne Krause

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Lokman Torun <lokmantorun@y...> wrote:

              > Hi to all,
              >
              > I was wonderin if anybody in the list applied gold leaf on paper. Any suggestions on how
              to do it?

              > Thanks,
              >
              > Lokman

            • 黒田隆二
              Message 6 of 12 , May 29, 2005
                It is very common in Japan to apply Gold Leaf on any kind of artistic works.
                There are some kind of shapes of Gold Leaf such as "Noge"(thin
                line),"Kiriishi"(square),"Sunago"(sand) and etc. These are cut by bamboo
                knife on sheep skin. And are applied to paper using very thin glue
                You have to learn it over 5~10 years to make very fine arrengement on paper
                as art.
                But, unfortunately, I don't know any english written books on this
                technique.
                Takaji Kuroda

                > I was wonderin if anybody in the list applied gold leaf on paper. Any
                suggestions on how to do it?

                > Thanks,
                >
                > Lokman

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Lokman Torun

                  > I was wonderin if anybody in the list applied gold leaf on paper. Any
                  suggestions on how to do it?

                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Lokman

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links