Re: Book arts centers

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      Debbie,

      There are a number of resources out there that you can turn too. For starters, if you
      haven't found it already, Peter Verheyen's excellent web site:

      www.philobiblon.com

      There is a list of professional training opportunities, organizations, and book art centers

      The Guild of Book Workers offers a list of training opportunities:

      http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/

      Small schools such as Arrowmont, the site of our last symposium, offer short courses:

      http://www.arrowmont.org/

      Where are you located? It would help to better advise you on what you have close by. teh
      scope of the centers can be learned by searching the web sites, but also by participating in
      the many internet lists.

      When you ask "what is the best" I must confess that it is a difficult question to respond to,
      simply because each venue has their merits and different emphasis, and different teachers.

      Are speaking of Artists books? Fine press? fine binding? traditional hand binding? Those
      are very different things. It really depends on what you want to do, and you've not
      mentioned what that is. Even within those categories, there is likely to be some pretty
      subjective arguments over what is "best".

      For example, some of the more outspoken "masters" of English, French, and German
      binding, all think they are the "best", and will tell you what makes them "superior" to the
      other traditions and belittle the others. For my own part, I learn as much as I can, yet take
      it all with a VERY LARGE grain of salt, as I appreciate fine craftsmanship and artistry, but
      little use for snotty, pretentious attitudes. The same thing can be very true of marbling,
      though I think on the whole we are a far more amicable lot...

      Most of the MFA programs also host workshops. This year, there seems to be a veritable
      explosion of conferences and events across the US. Here at USC in Columbia, we are
      hosting the first conference ever. I'm an alum of the Noth Bennet Street School
      bookbinding program, which is more traditional in approach, and not is an or MFA
      program. They offer a number of workshops in hand bookbinding, and have just released
      the summer workshop listing:

      www.nbss.org

      As far as "standards" that can be a hot-button issue, depending on who you ask.
      Standards for what? The Guild of Book Workers hosts an annual Seminar in the Standards
      of Excellence" to help promote the art and craft in the US. Yet as far as creating
      standardized bookbinding certfiication, there isn't any, dpesite some who feel very
      strongly that there should be. Again, which "standards" do we use? German, French,
      English, or even Turkish or Japanese? They all have standards, which in their own context
      are quite valid.

      hope this helps,

      Jake Benson