Book arts centers

  • lovetomakebooks
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2005
      I am looking for the major books arts centers, mostly in the United
      States. Would the Center for Book Arts in Chicago be among the best?
      Are there other Centers that people feel would be worth checking out?
      I am looking for Centers that go beyond offering degrees to students
      seeking advanced degrees. I'm not even sure what the scope of centers
      generally is or if there is any standard. Thanks in advance for your
      thoughts.
      Debbie
    • Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 8:48 AM
        Debbie,

        There are a number of resources out there that you can turn too. For starters, if you
        haven't found it already, Peter Verheyen's excellent web site:

        www.philobiblon.com

        There is a list of professional training opportunities, organizations, and book art centers

        The Guild of Book Workers offers a list of training opportunities:

        http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/

        Small schools such as Arrowmont, the site of our last symposium, offer short courses:

        http://www.arrowmont.org/

        Where are you located? It would help to better advise you on what you have close by. teh
        scope of the centers can be learned by searching the web sites, but also by participating in
        the many internet lists.

        When you ask "what is the best" I must confess that it is a difficult question to respond to,
        simply because each venue has their merits and different emphasis, and different teachers.

        Are speaking of Artists books? Fine press? fine binding? traditional hand binding? Those
        are very different things. It really depends on what you want to do, and you've not
        mentioned what that is. Even within those categories, there is likely to be some pretty
        subjective arguments over what is "best".

        For example, some of the more outspoken "masters" of English, French, and German
        binding, all think they are the "best", and will tell you what makes them "superior" to the
        other traditions and belittle the others. For my own part, I learn as much as I can, yet take
        it all with a VERY LARGE grain of salt, as I appreciate fine craftsmanship and artistry, but
        little use for snotty, pretentious attitudes. The same thing can be very true of marbling,
        though I think on the whole we are a far more amicable lot...

        Most of the MFA programs also host workshops. This year, there seems to be a veritable
        explosion of conferences and events across the US. Here at USC in Columbia, we are
        hosting the first conference ever. I'm an alum of the Noth Bennet Street School
        bookbinding program, which is more traditional in approach, and not is an or MFA
        program. They offer a number of workshops in hand bookbinding, and have just released
        the summer workshop listing:

        www.nbss.org

        As far as "standards" that can be a hot-button issue, depending on who you ask.
        Standards for what? The Guild of Book Workers hosts an annual Seminar in the Standards
        of Excellence" to help promote the art and craft in the US. Yet as far as creating
        standardized bookbinding certfiication, there isn't any, dpesite some who feel very
        strongly that there should be. Again, which "standards" do we use? German, French,
        English, or even Turkish or Japanese? They all have standards, which in their own context
        are quite valid.

        hope this helps,

        Jake Benson