Image of Persian mirror cover from the Museum of Tehran

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2005
      Hello again,

      I mentioned in my last post a marbled mirror cover that had been on the web site for the
      National Museum of Iran in Tehran that has since disappeared. Since I had the image, I
      have now placed it in the the photo section of the group web site.

      While I was at it, I went ahead and created a new folder for images of historic marbling,
      and have created sub-folders inside for a few different countries. It's just a start, and
      more folders can be added as pieces are found. I encourage any and all of you, as you
      find images of historic examples, to post them there.

      We are responsible for recognizing and documenting the history of our art. No one else
      will do it for us. We are familiar with marbling and can readily identify examples far more
      easily than others. In doing so, we help to educate ourselves and the public in general
      about marbling. Hopefully, it increses an interest in it, and it certainly does have a very
      fascinating history that is not well understood, even by ourselves.

      Educating the public also means that we are educating our potential market. Showing
      such examples in workshops, classes, and lectures informs people about marbling as
      something desirable and valuable, and that in turn encourages collection. So PLEASE don't
      dismiss this is just a dry topic for long-winded scholars, curators, and academics. There's
      actually some very real economic incentives to spend a few minutes researching
      collections at a local library or museum. Many Curators often really appreciate the help of
      a "genuine marbler" to idnetify examples in their collection. So don't be shy. All you have
      to do is ask to spend a few minutes. Not only libraries have these materials, for now we
      know that scientific instruments, wallpapers, mats and mounts, clothing and accessories,
      musical instrument cases, and even furniture have emplyed marbling in different countries
      in the past. We all make mistakes in our identifications along the way of course, as we
      are only human, but at least we have done our part to get the "marble" rollling. Who
      knows what lies in the stacks, gathering dust, waiting to be discovered?

      Personally, I'm constantly amazed when "new" finds of old pieces emerge. Unusual
      patterns, unique designs, and even unknown floral motifs have been found in recent years.
      When such examples come to light, it challenges us to re-think the many pre-conceived
      notions that we have held about marbling history. Marbling history is an continually
      evolving subject, and very little seems to be "set in stone", to make another bad pun...

      So, Happy hunting!