Ox Gall

  • carolevhoof
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2005
      Iris encouraged me to post prices so here it is:

      Half Pint = $15
      Pint = $30
      Quart = $40

      Plus shipping and I have to charge tax in NY and PA.

      It lasts forever, so buy a lifetime supply!

      Carole
      Lonely Pine Bindery
      Rifton, NY
    • Sue Cole
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2013
        this is in the Archives also, but Ox Gall is used mainly when you are
        marbling with watercolor paint. When you are using acrylics, Photo - flo
        is better. The best source I have found for it is:

        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/28195-REG/Kodak_1464510_Photo_Flo_200_Solution.html

        the 16 oz bottle will last you for a long time because you usually only use
        1 or 2 teaspoons of it to 6 - 8 ounces of water, unless you are doing
        Suminagashi, in which case you could use it almost straight. You have to
        experiment because most acrylics already have a type of surfactant added to
        them, which is what makes them spread. A lot of acrylics can be used with
        just water to thin them down, but every color is different, so you have to
        experiment.

        I keep a small tank beside me to test out colors before I drop them in the
        larger tank, or for the scarves, I test them in one end first to see if
        they will sink or float.

        Good luck,
        Sue

      • Lilly Thingz
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2013
          > Photo - flo is better. The best source I have found for it is:
          >
          >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/28195-REG/Kodak_1464510_Photo_Flo_200_Solution.html
          >
          >the 16 oz bottle will last you for a long time because you usually only use
          >1 or 2 teaspoons of it to 6 - 8 ounces of water,
          >
          >Thank you Sue.  Interesting about the polymer surfecant when using acrylics.  I'll keep that in mind.

          Sincerely, Lilly