oil marbling

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2000
      I think that Ann Chambers recommended using Ethulose (A cellulose ether that
      has NOT been methylated to make it more soluble) instead of Methyl Cellulose
      in her relatively recent book published by Thames and Hudson on Oil Marbling,
      as it hold up better. I think that a Tylose is the brand name it is sold
      under here in the US. Then agian, with so many grades of Methyl Cell
      available, you might try a grade like Dow a4m or e4m, which is made in hot
      water rather than the cold water dispersable variety. Are the Klucel brand
      cellulose ethers more avaiable in Europe? I use Klucel G in alcohol for
      consolidating red rot leather, but I know that other grades (a-f) may be
      suitable. Chck the specs for solubility parameters in H2O.

      I don't do oil marbling , but I would have to agree about the potential mess
      and toxicity. There are a number of Turpentine substitutes available ,
      mainly the citrus essential oil variety, that may be a safer (and sweet
      smelling) alternative thinner. I still think that Acrylic is SO much easier
      to clean up than Oils.

      Jake

      Marbling@egroups.com wrote:

      > Community email addresses:
      > Post message: Marbling@onelist.com
      >
      > Shortcut URL to this page:
      >
      > There are 5 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Intro of me and a Q!?
      > From: "Hans Y. Olsen" <han-ols@...>
      > 2. Re: Intro of me and a Q!?
      > From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
      > 3. Re: Intro of me and a Q!?
      > From: "D. Guffey" <dguff@...>
      > 4. Re: Intro of me and a Q!?
      > From: irisnevins <irisnevins@...>
      > 5. Sodium Alginate
      > From: "D. Guffey" <dguff@...>

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 21:08:29 -0000
      > From: "Hans Y. Olsen" <han-ols@...>
      > Subject: Intro of me and a Q!?
      >
      > Hi all you marbeles people!
      >
      > I`m hereby introducing myself: i`m 27 years of age and beeing a
      > bookbinder by profession I use marbled paper for endpapers, covers
      > and
      > so on... I have some experience in marbling with "karragen-mose" (the
      > norwegian spelling) but I mostly buy my marbled papers.
      >
      > Soon I´m supposed to teach a class of art students (introductory
      > class)
      > a bit about marbling, and I´d like to demonstrate this with the
      > use of
      > MC as the size and oil-painting as the colours. I am well experienced
      > in creating all the trad patterns in the traditional tech, but I have
      > no experience whatsoever using MC and oil-colours.
      >
      > MY Q TO YOU ALL: please give me some hints on your experience with
      > this
      > type of marbling tech. Any information you have on this topic is
      > relevant. Especially the chemical part. How much of what to blend
      > into
      > this and so on... E-mail me on: mailto:han-ols@... or reply to
      > the group.
      >
      > Awaiting my mailbox to flow with tips and hints, I`ll start trying
      > and
      > absolutely failing.
      >
      > Yours Sincerely,
      >
      > Hans Yngvar Olsen
      > Oslo, Norway.

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 17:34:09 -0400
      > From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
      > Subject: Re: Intro of me and a Q!?
      >
      > Hi Hans!
      > You will get good info here--and while you are at it--check through the
      > archives for this list--you will pick up a ton of info there, too.
      > Jill

    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 26, 2002
        Hei og mottakelse! Behag kontroll våre arkiv.
        Jill
        started working on the site. in a couple of weeks it mat be complete

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28, 2002
          Hello Tomas.....I am glad you wrote to the group. I received your letter
          several months ago, with your pictures and tried to email back, but it kept
          being returned. I hope you didn't think I was ignoring you!

          Really great, and different marbled art pieces! Bright, Colorful!

          Good Luck,
          Iris (Camarena) Nevins ....another Mexican ...half anyway!
        • marie-p@despammed.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
            dear manihunt,
            i marbled exclusively with oils from 1983-1995. i used a cooked carrageenan size. oils can be floated on plain water, but i liked the effect better with a thickener added to the water. oils are very fluid and one cannot get nearly as much control or such fine patterns as in acrylic or watercolor because the oils continue to move fairly quickly on the surface of the water/size. however, the fluidity is the charm of the oil marbling and many wonderful effects can be had. one must use plenty of ventilation or work outside. when i would marble for hours on end, i would use a respirator mask and hope that none of the young kids from the neighborhood would come to the door. ha ha ha. anyhow, oils are quite fun. i even used them when working with my kids classes. soap and water clean up goes easily and i never had any complaints from the parents. not sure i would advise using them with kids in todays overly sanitary and safe-oriented society. of course we had big rooms, g!
            ood ventilation and short classes.

            happy marbling, marie palowoda
          • tomas viavant
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 30, 2003
              for those of you who might be interested in oil marbling, I have finished
              one half of my website:
              www.oilonwater.com

              I do not use linseed oil based colors. I make my colors with printing
              inks plus other oils and solvents

              I hope to have my website complete(or mostly so) in about two months.
              when it is finished,
              come visit me. Santo Tomas Aquino. Aquinas--- tomas D'Aquin

              aquinastomas@...