[Marbling] Sodium Alginate

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2000
      Thanks for the info on the Sodium Alginate. I will skip it! These lists are
      great to fill each other in on what is not worth bothering trying! I really
      trust other marblers' experience. When I started I was self taught and from
      bad and archaic instructions,at that.....if I had invested the small
      fortune I spent on things that didn't work over the years I'd have a pretty
      nice nest egg by now. But marbling was more fun than saving money!

      I can't imagine anyone wanting to boil and strain carrageenan
      anymore....but about 10 years ago I collected a bunch of it from the Maine
      coast, dried it and tried it. It was very weak even in large quantities,
      but it did work and was free. There are so many different types and grades
      though, I don't really know what variety I had. The consistency and
      regularity of the powder is a blessing. Even that is a little different
      from batch to batch, but the differences are really minimal in comparison.

      Message text written by INTERNET:Marbling@egroups.com
      >Yes, the days of boiling and straining were messy. If anyone out there is
      still doing it, the best strainer is to go to a paint store and get a bag
      that is used for straining paint...works a lot better than panty hose
      (which
      would break and you'd have to start all over!). I only had one boil over
      and that was a nightmare.

      d.guffey<