ox gall

  • carolevhoof
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 18, 2005
      If anyone wants bulk oxgall I have some - contact me off list.
      Carole
      Lonely Pine Bindery
    • carolevhoof
      Message 2 of 11 , May 17, 2005
        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "carolevhoof" <carolevanderhoof@b...>
        wrote:

        > If anyone wants bulk oxgall I have some - contact me off list.
        > Carole
        > Lonely Pine Bindery

        Thanks to all the folks who bought ox gall, I'll post again when I
        have more.
        Carole
      • erdem cerit
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 2005
          If anybody wants more oxgall i can send. It is very easy to find it

          carolevhoof <carolevanderhoof@...> wrote:--- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "carolevhoof" <carolevanderhoof@b...>

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6 11:44 AM
            I have another batch of Ox Gall ready to sell. 1/2 pint for $15.

            Carole Vanderhoof
            http://lonelypine.ce-service.biz
          • Sue Cole
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 12, 2011
              I'm sure other members will chine in as well, but ox gall is meant for
              watercolors. For acrylics, it's better to use photo flo or acrylic flow
              release by Golden paints. You mix it up in a seperate bottle about a
              teaspoon to 2 oz of water, then add that to the acrylics a drop or two at a
              time until you get the results that you want. I thin the acrylic down to
              about the consistency of skim milk first with water. If you get airbrush
              acrylics, you can use most of them straight from the bottle because they are
              thinner. I usually get the regular acrylic paints, then thin them because
              it is more economical. According to Iris Nevins, I believe, you can also
              use Palmolive Pure and Clear dishwashing liquid a drop or two in the 2 oz
              of water. You get the kind that is clear and has no scent or additives.
              Wwhat it does is to act as a surfactant - to break down the surface tension
              of the paint, so it will spread more easily. Synthrapol is also a
              surfactant and is very concentrated.
              HTH
              Sue

            • Lilly Thingz
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
                Hi there people

                I got the book by Gabrielle Grunebaum how to marbelize Paper and she mentions Ox Gall.  I was wondering is that the same ox gall I use in painting with watercolours and  gouache?

                thank you kindly

                L~

              • John Goode
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
                  Hello
                  The windsor newton brand is watered down and I found it not to marble well.
                  Colophon has nice ox gall.
                  John Goode

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
                    What is in the arts stores is weak. Colophon and I also sell the "real thing" for marbling. Better to stick with the few marbling suppliers such as us and a few others because we are constantly using and testing the material we sell. We can also troubleshoot any problems you have for that reason.\

                    Iris Nevins
                    www.marblingpaper.com

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
                      Thank you John and Iris,  I didn't think that they would diminish it but it does make sense.
                       I guess Basic Crafts Co in NYC is gone as well?  Gabriele mentions it in her Supply Sources
                      but I could not find it, but then again Grunebaum's book is 30 years old.

                      Lilly
                      : irisnevins <irisnevins@...>

                    • D or Jer Guffey
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
                        I marble with acrylics and they do not need additional oxgall...

                        d.guffey

                      • anthonianthonianthoni
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 25, 2013
                          Yes and No.
                          The ox-gall is indeed the bile-juice of the ox, cow, calf, bull &c. the same product is used both in watercolours & marbling. The only difference is that the stuff sold for use in W/ colour tends to be weaker than that sold for marbling.
                          However, the bile juice of the cow does not need to be used. It appears that any beast which has a gall can make perfectly servicable stuff for marbling. I have even heard that the finest gall for marbling comes from the gallbladder of a fish.