marbling vs marbleizing

  • Ingrid
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 17, 2005
      Susanne
      I recall that Christopher(Weimann) always
      refered to marbleizing for the use in faux marble finishes
      on furniture and walls etc. and marbling only
      to paper or fabric marbling.
      Regards, Ingrid
    • paulhenrydesign@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 17, 2005
        here in England, "marbling" is used both for paper decoration and faux stone
        finishes.
        "Marbleizing" as a word would be seen as american, and would not be used
        widely

        paul

      • Feridun Ozgoren
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 19, 2005
          Greetings to all,

          Can anybody tell us what Suminagashi is called in English?

          Some suminagashi papers resemble electrocardiogram charts, should it be
          called cardiopaper?

          Best wishes,

          Feridun Ozgoren

          _____

          I recall that Christopher(Weimann) always
          refered to marbleizing for the use in faux marble finishes
          on furniture and walls etc. and marbling only
          to paper or fabric marbling.
          Regards, Ingrid

          _____

        • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 20, 2005
            My cleverest clever book (Sierpapier & Marmering, Den Haag/Brussel 1994) says that at
            least in German, English, French, Dutch and Italian the preferred term seems to be
            Suminagashi.

            Susanne Krause

          • paulhenrydesign@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 20, 2005
              Feridun Ozgoren...interesting thought though.... we could all have fun
              labelling our papers with our own fantasy names... and then where we be...!!

              with tongue firmly in cheek...

              paul

            • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 20, 2005
                People have had that fun for centuries.

                What else remains to do when you have a pattern, but not the least idea what it is called?
                What does a non-professional with lots of fun in producing paper but no interest in
                digging up the old names? What does a person after having stumbled onto a new pattern?

                A name is born.

                That is the raison d'etre of handbooks, word lists and thesauri, I guess.

                Susann Krause

                --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, paulhenrydesign@a... wrote:
                > Feridun Ozgoren...interesting thought though.... we could all have fun
                > labelling our papers with our own fantasy names... and then where we be...!!
                >

                > with tongue firmly in cheek...
                >
                > paul

              • Feridun Ozgoren
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 20, 2005
                  I understand. But, "suminagashi" is not a German, English, French, Dutch or
                  an Italian word. Is it?

                  In other words "suminagashi" incorporated in those languages as is it,
                  without translation, but people speaking those languages somehow needed to
                  translate ebru.

                  I wonder, why?

                  With regards,

                  Feridun Ozgoren

                  _____

                  wrote:
                  > Greetings to all,
                  >
                  > Can anybody tell us what Suminagashi is called in English?
                  >
                  > Some suminagashi papers resemble electrocardiogram charts, should it be
                  > called cardiopaper?
                  >
                  > Best wishes,
                  >
                  > Feridun Ozgoren
                  >

                  > _____

                  _____

                • ???
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 20, 2005
                    Why don't you ask a Japanese marbler, Mr. Kuroda ?
                    He can tell you about "suminagashi".

                    Suminagashi writes ?? in chinses character.
                    the first letter measns black or black color stick, the seconde letter means current.
                    I understand Japanese reads that word "suminagashi".

                    Redgards,

                    Ky Lee, Seoul

                    > I understand. But, "suminagashi" is not a German, English, French, Dutch or
                    > an Italian word. Is it?
                    >
                    > In other words "suminagashi" incorporated in those languages as is it,
                    > without translation, but people speaking those languages somehow needed to
                    > translate ebru.
                    >
                    > I wonder, why?
                    >
                    > With regards,
                    >
                    > Feridun Ozgoren
                    >

                    > _____

                  • gretchen vansant

                      wrote:
                      > Greetings to all,
                      >
                      > Can anybody tell us what Suminagashi is called in English?
                      >
                      > Some suminagashi papers resemble electrocardiogram charts, should it be
                      > called cardiopaper?
                      >
                      > Best wishes,
                      >
                      > Feridun Ozgoren
                      >

                      > _____

                      _____

                    • IRIS NEVINS
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 20, 2005
                        You think this is confusing, in my other life as an Irish musician, the names for the same tune are many! I think it's worldwide! I liked Chris Weimann's name for what the rest of us call Antique or Zebra....RAINBOW SPANISH.....and never mind us marblers, my customers always call bouquet peacock, and I made up the name NJ Ripple for a cross between moire and antique or zebra, or was that rainbow spanish! My customers....many call peacock "the one that looks like little heads in an audience".

                        No matter how we try to regulate the names there will always be something different that someone else calls something else. Maybe this will never be 100% but it gets funny to think about it. German is Dutch, though some think Holland, not Germany or Duestch.....Suminagashi .....does each variation on the cardiogram get called something else in Japanese?

                        this could be endless amusement when you think about it! Though frustrating to others.

                        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>, "Feridun Ozgoren" <feridun.ozgoren@v<mailto:feridun.ozgoren@v>...>

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 21, 2005
                          Feridun-
                          then following is pure conjecture, PLEASE treat it as such and not as a scientific fact, will
                          you?
                          Marbling (to stick to the word) has come to Western Europe around 1600, give and take a
                          decade or so. Information was a mere dribble then, only a tithe of the population could
                          read and write, books were a thing for the happy few. The 'experts', for reasons best
                          known to themselves, shrouded the new and exciting technique in secrecy and in the
                          course of several decades adapted it to their own needs and abilities.
                          Now Suminagashi went into fashion in then West only in the last decades of the 20th
                          century, which made for a totally different starting point, and this includes the term that
                          was/is used. I am sure that ebru, had it come to the West, say, 50 years ago, would have
                          remained ebru. But I am equally sure that that would have provided us with just another
                          sort of mix-up. A technique is bound to change as it travels. What Western marblers do is
                          certainly closely related to ebru is closely related to suminagashi is closely related to
                          whatever technique there is of patterning a liquid sitting in a vat and transferring the
                          pattern onto paper. So what is a name? Nothing but a means to understand what we are
                          talking about.

                        • Brent Mydland
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 21, 2005
                            I intentionally call my patterns differnt names than the masses it makes me feel like they are mine since they are.Everyone marbles differntly.
                            It is nice to have this gift...I think all will agree. Marbling is a gift given to the few that throw them selves into this.
                            It is more than magic or skill or luck.
                            I like to say the highest form of painting.
                            JBG