Re: [Marbling] Intro of me and a Q!?

  • D. Guffey
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2 6:09 PM
      Hi Hans,

      I marbled with oils for about 7 years before I discovered acrylics. I used
      sodium alginate for the size and found I could do traditional marbling
      patterns. The only advantage to using oil paints was that you didn't have
      to alum the paper. The disadvantages were far greater. Having to use toxic
      substances like paint thinner and the smell as well as the mess. Also,
      patterns made with oil paints are grainier than those you can get with
      acrylics or marbling inks. One advantage of sodium alginate is that you
      don't have to make your size 24 hours in advance, just sprinkle the sodium
      alginate on the water and wait about 30 minutes for it to disolve. Sodium
      alginate comes in different granular sizes...the finer grain gave the best
      results.

      I haven't marbled with oil paints for the past 15 years, and I can't say how
      they would work with MC. When I first started marbling in 1977 I used the
      carraghean in the dried form which you had to boil and strain (the instant
      type hadn't been discovered yet by marblers). Sodium alginate was a big
      advantage over boiling and straining, but now I'm a dedicated user of
      blender carraghean.

      Good luck in your demonstration.

      d.guffey
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2 6:30 PM
        How does the sodium alginate compare in end results to carrageenan? How
        long does it keep?

        Boy, do I remember the days of boiling and straining! As if marbling was
        not already enough work. Plus the size always came out a little different
        and you had so many more adjustment problems with the colors. I remember
        all the sea foam too! And nylon stockings and strainers getting clogged and
        the size overflowing onto the floor! Gee....thanks for the memories! What a
        mess!

        Iris Nevins
      • tomasaquinas2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 27, 2002
          te:
          > hello marblers:
          > try www.oilonwater.com for something different. I hav e just
          started working on the site. in a couple of weeks it mat be complete