Pre-1800 workshop at TAMU in May

  • Will Howard
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 11 6:11 PM
      I've recently learned of a week long (May 22 onward) workshop in "Book History" material and techniques that focuses (I'm told) on pre-1800. I insert below a brief cut and paste from the A&M website for your information. Even so, I'm told they've not yet included marbling in the workshop. Has anyone been to this. What's your experience?

      Will Howard, Houston

      Jake Benson <handbindery@...> wrote:

      Greetings fellow marblers and list members,

      This is message is posted on behalf of Ingrid Weimann. For the time
      being, the prospectus has been placed in the Files section of this
      group. Should anyone not be able to access the, then please contact
      Ingrid directly at her email below.

      Jake Benson

      Announcing a new digital prospectus for Christopher Weimann: A Tribute.

      A newly enlarged and enhanced digital prospectus for the limited
      edition in honor of the late paper marbler Christopher Weimann: A
      Tribute is now available. It is in an Adobe PDF format totaling nearly
      2MB and can be obtained by visiting the �files� section of the Yahoo
      marbling group web site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marbling/files/,
      or by writing to Ms. Ingrid Weimann directly at floatingcolors@....

      This new prospectus features book reviews by book historian Nicholas
      Barker and paper marbler Tom Leech, along with more images of marbled
      papers and stencil-marbled paintings created by Weimann. The edition
      includes a series of essays by scholars and fellow marblers, and his
      wife Ingrid. A full reprint of an article in Fine Print, which has
      since become a rare and expensive publication, has also been reproduced
      in entirety. Weimann was very well known for his research and
      reproduction of a distinct genre paintings in India, often associated
      with Deccan region of southern India during the early to mid-17th
      century.

      Weimann faced enormous challenges, among them a preconceived notion
      among many scholars that these paintings were cut and pasted together
      in a method of collage or decoupage. Weimann convincingly proved that
      these works were created through the application of cut paper stencils,
      gum resists or a combination of both. These were applied to the same
      sheet of paper and then marbled. After having recreated several of
      these he presented them to Dr.Edwin Binney 3rd who then gave
      Christopher permission, having convinced the museum staff of the
      importance of this, to have three of these paintings scientifically
      examined. This was done at the Conservation Dept. at the Los Angeles
      County Museum of Art. He was able to prove through microscopic analysis
      that his theory of how they were done was correct. More analysis work
      and research was in his future plans but his untimely death cut this
      sadly short.

    • Will Howard

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 11 6:12 PM
          I've recently learned of a week long (May 22 onward) workshop in "Book History" material and techniques that focuses (I'm told) on pre-1800. I insert below a brief cut and paste from the A&M website for your information. Even so, I'm told they've not yet included marbling in the workshop. Has anyone been to this. What's your experience?

          Cushing Library Offers Scholarships for Book History Workshop

          The Cushing Memorial Library and Archives is offering a small number of scholarships for the 2005 Book History Workshop on May 22-27. Texas A&M graduate students are eligible for these scholarships which cover the $600 registration fee. The five-day workshop provides an intensive, hands-on introduction to the history of books and printing with an emphasis on hand press era printing and its allied technologies--typecasting, papermaking, bookbinding, illustration, and ink-making.

          To apply, graduate students should visit http://library.tamu.edu/bookhistory and complete the online application form. Applicants should indicate that they are applying for a graduate student scholarship and clearly identify the connection between the workshop and their professional, academic, or related interests. The deadline for application is Monday, April 11 at 5:00 p.m. For questions, contact Chris Morrow at (979) 845-1951 or at c-morrow@... These scholarships are made possible through support from the Melbern G. Glasscock Center for Humanities Research and the Friends of the Sterling C. Evans Library.

[...]

        • IRIS NEVINS
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 11 6:28 PM
            It would be fun to marble at this! But too far from NJ!

            Never been to this. Wonder why they have no marbling. It would be heaven to spend a few days doing nothing but pre-1800's marbling!

            marbling group web site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marbling/files/<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marbling/files/>,
            or by writing to Ms. Ingrid Weimann directly at floatingcolors@...<mailto:floatingcolors@...>.

[...]

          • Jake Benson
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 11 6:36 PM
              Neither Texas A & M nor UVA's Rare Book school have offered courses that cover marbling
              or the history of it. UVA has started to offer sources in Japanese papermaking,
              printmaking, and this year for teh first time, a course on Indian manuscripts which I wish I
              could attend. I visited friends at Texas A & M once, on my way to lecture at UT Austin and
              SMU in Dallas, but only heard of the collections and workshop after that.

              Is any kind of week-long course offered anywhere?

              Jake Benson
            • Jake Benson
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 11 7:19 PM
                Whoops! I made a mistake before hitting that send button.

                Rare Book School has offered courses in papermaking (taught by Timothy Barrett) and
                ukiyo-e printmaking for some time.

                here's the web site:

                http://www.virginia.edu/oldbooks/

                Some of the courses on binding briefly cover the subject of decorated papers.

                Jake

                >UVA has started to offer sources in Japanese papermaking,
                > printmaking,
              • Brent Mydland
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 12 4:38 AM
                  well in a town that has a street named after Phil Graham and a Library named after Bush,
                  You should expect well nothing of high educational standards such as book arts,they are most likely just fascinated that people even make books and have engineers looking into see if this is possible.
                  my 2 cents Johnny

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 12 10:22 PM
                    PLEASE - That ex-Senator's name is Gramm... that's GRAMM ... NOT
                    GRAHAM, DAMMIT!

                    And they not only have G. H. W. Bush's ( #1's) Presidential library,
                    they named a street after him just to show they loved him and wanted
                    him to put his damned library there.

                    As for not having marbling at a "pre-1800 book arts" hoop-de-do, I'm
                    not surprised.

                    I lived in Texas for eleven years, eight months, three weeks, and two days.

                    Best t'y'all!

                    Dave Graham

                    On 4/12/05, Brent Mydland <jbg78734@...> wrote:

                    > well in a town that has a street named after Phil Graham and a Library named after Bush,
                    > You should expect well nothing of high educational standards such as book arts,they are most likely just fascinated that people even make books and have engineers looking into see if this is possible.
                    > my 2 cents Johnny
                    >
                    > IRIS NEVINS <irisnevins@...> wrote:
                    > It would be fun to marble at this! But too far from NJ!
                    >
                    > Never been to this. Wonder why they have no marbling. It would be heaven to spend a few days doing nothing but pre-1800's marbling!
                    >
                    > Iris Nevins

                  • Brent Mydland
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 13 5:12 AM
                      gee, I thought it was funny, oh well sorry to offend ya.....
                      Remember texas will always be here if ya need to move back..
                      Are you related to Phill?
                      Have a nice day!
                      Johnny

                    • David Graham
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 13 9:32 AM
                        >Are you related to Phill?

                        Ooooow! You really do know how to hurt a guy!

                        Really, offense neither taken nor seriously meant. I just couldn't
                        acclimate to hot, humid east Texas - but the Hill Country and west
                        Texas? - now that's another story!

                        Best t'y'all-
                        Dave

                        On 4/13/05, Brent Mydland <jbg78734@...> wrote:

                        > gee, I thought it was funny, oh well sorry to offend ya.....
                        > Remember texas will always be here if ya need to move back..
                        > Are you related to Phill?
                        > Have a nice day!
                        > Johnny
                        >
                        > David Graham <uuglypher@...> wrote:
                        > PLEASE - That ex-Senator's name is Gramm... that's GRAMM ... NOT
                        > GRAHAM, DAMMIT!
                        >
                        > And they not only have G. H. W. Bush's ( #1's) Presidential library,
                        > they named a street after him just to show they loved him and wanted
                        > him to put his damned library there.
                        >
                        > As for not having marbling at a "pre-1800 book arts" hoop-de-do, I'm
                        > not surprised.
                        >
                        > I lived in Texas for eleven years, eight months, three weeks, and two days.
                        >
                        > Best t'y'all!
                        >
                        > Dave Graham
                        >
                        > On 4/12/05, Brent Mydland <jbg78734@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > well in a town that has a street named after Phil Graham and a Library named after Bush,
                        > > You should expect well nothing of high educational standards such as book arts,they are most likely just fascinated that people even make books and have engineers looking into see if this is possible.
                        > > my 2 cents Johnny
                        > >
                        > > IRIS NEVINS <irisnevins@...> wrote:
                        > > It would be fun to marble at this! But too far from NJ!
                        > >
                        > > Never been to this. Wonder why they have no marbling. It would be heaven to spend a few days doing nothing but pre-1800's marbling!
                        > >
                        > > Iris Nevins

                      • Brent Mydland
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 13 10:26 AM
                          OKyou know the rivalry betwwen UT and A&M,
                          I cant help but humor on the book course with no art.
                          Lyle Lovett a former A&M grad says "Thats right your not from Texas"
                          "Texas wants you anyway".
                          Makes me want to leave, anyone in the NW need a marbler?
                          Have a great day!