Re: [Marbling] Intro of me and a Q!?

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2000
      Hi Hans!
      You will get good info here--and while you are at it--check through the
      archives for this list--you will pick up a ton of info there, too.
      Jill
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2000
        Hi Hans,

        I marbled with oils for about 7 years before I discovered acrylics. I used
        sodium alginate for the size and found I could do traditional marbling
        patterns. The only advantage to using oil paints was that you didn't have
        to alum the paper. The disadvantages were far greater. Having to use toxic
        substances like paint thinner and the smell as well as the mess. Also,
        patterns made with oil paints are grainier than those you can get with
        acrylics or marbling inks. One advantage of sodium alginate is that you
        don't have to make your size 24 hours in advance, just sprinkle the sodium
        alginate on the water and wait about 30 minutes for it to disolve. Sodium
        alginate comes in different granular sizes...the finer grain gave the best
        results.

        I haven't marbled with oil paints for the past 15 years, and I can't say how
        they would work with MC. When I first started marbling in 1977 I used the
        carraghean in the dried form which you had to boil and strain (the instant
        type hadn't been discovered yet by marblers). Sodium alginate was a big
        advantage over boiling and straining, but now I'm a dedicated user of
        blender carraghean.

        Good luck in your demonstration.

        d.guffey
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2000
          How does the sodium alginate compare in end results to carrageenan? How
          long does it keep?

          Boy, do I remember the days of boiling and straining! As if marbling was
          not already enough work. Plus the size always came out a little different
          and you had so many more adjustment problems with the colors. I remember
          all the sea foam too! And nylon stockings and strainers getting clogged and
          the size overflowing onto the floor! Gee....thanks for the memories! What a
          mess!

          Iris Nevins
        • tomasaquinas2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 27, 2002
            te:
            > hello marblers:
            > try www.oilonwater.com for something different. I hav e just
            started working on the site. in a couple of weeks it mat be complete