Re: [Marbling] best paper for marbling?

  • IRIS NEVINS
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2005
      Thanks for info!
      iris
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: G. Dixon<mailto:gdixon@...>
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:16 PM
      Subject: Re: [Marbling] best paper for marbling?

      Hello Iris,
      I purchased some Mohawk vellum within the past month from NY Central, although I don't know how old it is, it took up the paint without difficulty, using aluminum sulfate at 1:10, that is 10 grams of alum for every 100 ml water. The sheets were dry, which is my preferred way to marble. I don't care for the paper - prefer Cranes Crest for a sturdy, lightweight paper, although it is more expensive and the sheets are smaller than ideal.
      I have been experimenting with aluminum acetate as an alternative to aluminum sulfate. Joseph Halfer wrote that it was superior to aluminum sulfate, and it does appear to work well for me - dissolves easier and stays in solution better. It is considerably more expensive than regular alum (although it will work at a 1:40 dilution for paints, 1:20 dilution for metallics which brings it closer to the cost of aluminum sulfate). It is less acidic than aluminum sulfate, and of course, avoids the sulfate residual. I must wait until summer to see how it stands up to humidity. I'll post some comparison pictures on my website in a couple of weeks.

      Garrett Dixon