Calf marbling

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2005
      The brown one near the bottom, But after looking at it again, it isn't
      actual calf, but a paper that imitates a calf marbled pattern. Calf
      marbling has nothing to do with paper marbling. It was made using
      chemical solutions such as potash, ferrous sulfate, which were
      sprinkled, drizzled onto the surface of the finished calf binding.

      Sometimes the pattern would form the shape of a kind of bush or tree,
      so it was called "tree calf in English.

      Here are the links to the definitions in the Etherington and Roberts
      online dictionary:

      http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt3574.html
      http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt2174.html
      http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt2282.html

      The imitation paper seen on the Publisher's Binding site was made more
      along the lines of paste paper, I believe- would you know Susanne?
      Paper wouldn't hold up to such a chemical bombardment. Something of of
      a "drizzled" paper- or perhaps similar to the French coulé method?
      These papers certainly seem to have have held up far better than many
      of the "marbled calf" bindings.

      Jake

      > Which of them do you call 'calf marbles', Jake?

    • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2005
        Yes, I supposed so. It's called 'tree root paper' and, as far as I have been able to ascertain,
        it was not made as an imitation but just on another base - the same way one decorates
        bookbinders cloth instead of paper for a change. A predominantly 19th century pattern
        that combines sprinkling with dribbling and clever handling of the right chemicals. There
        are several methods and recipes in literature, one about as toxic and useless as the others.
        Difficult.

        Papier coulé is the French expression for dribbled paper.

        Susanne Krause