Re: Publishers' Bindings Online/calf marbling

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2005
      Which of them do you call 'calf marbles', Jake?

      Susanne Krause

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Benson" <handbindery@b...> wrote:

      > Thanks for posting that Sharon.
      >
      > I found that the trick was to used "marbled" for your keyword search. 8 examples came
      > up, including some historic marbled paper, and some "calf marbling" as well....
      >
      > Jake
      >

      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Giles" <sharon_giles@h...> wrote:
      > > If you're interested in book art, you may want to check out this site:
      > > http://bindings.lib.ua.edu/
      > >
      > > Publishers' Bindings Online, 1815-1930: The Art of Books (PBO).
      > > "PBO, a significant digital collection of decorative bindings, along with
      > > a comprehensive glossary and guide to the elements of these objects, will
      > > strengthen the growing interest in and create broader awareness for this
      > > "common" object called the book."
      > >
      > > Note: I couldn't find any marbling indexed in this database.
    • Heidi Roukema
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2005
        My daughter, a bookbinder, will be going to Istanbul in a couple of
        weeks (for a on week holiday). She is very interested in all aspect of
        bookbinding, tools, paper, & particularly in Arabic bindings. Is there
        anybody in this group that would be able to give some information on
        where she could go in and around Istanbul to see books/paper etc.
        and/or stores for supplies or studios?
        On the same trip she will also visit Kairo. Does anybody know about
        book/papyrus related places there?
        She speaks english, german and french so she should be able to
        communicate.

        Thank You

        Heidi Roukema