Re: [Marbling] Marbling on glass

  • Brent Mydland
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
      do you want to fire the glass?
      or are you painting on big pieces to be in the light?
      or small jewlrey like pieces?
      I may have a little insight.
      johnny

      cfloate <cfloate@...> wrote:

      Has anyone tried to marble on glass? If so can you help me out by
      telling me what works? I have not tried anything yet but am
      interested in doing it.

      I have been marbling on wood for several years and have been
      successful with that.

      Thanks, Carole

    • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2006
        In the studio of 'Dansk glaskunst' (Danish Art Glass) in southern Denmark I have seen Uli
        and John make paper weights in a process very near to marbling. They had the red hot
        lump of glass hanging on the pipe in the kiln, gave it the desired form and lifted it out to a
        tray with little pieces of coloured glass on the ready. The lump was rolled gently over the
        little pieces and lifted back to the kiln with the pieces sticking to it. In the kiln, the pieces
        melted into the lump which was then turned around and around and taken out again,
        manipulated with some tool which made the coloured spots turn into streaks and swirl
        around each other, and set into the the cooling oven.
        I describe this very badly, being no glass maker; and anyway this was years ago.
        Unfortunately there is nothing like it on their website www.dansk-glaskunst.dk, but I'm
        sure they'd give you the information you might need.

        Susanne Krause