Paints and colours

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
      From what I have learned (long ago, admittedly) paints is what you work with and colours
      is what you see. The German equivalents are Farbmittel for paints and Farben for colours,
      at least in expert language. Many people use Farben=colours for both.

      Careful with the expression dyes. Dyes and pigments are two things.

      But English is not my native language, of course!!! I am ready to be corrected. And in time I
      will perhaps even get used to writing colors instead of colours when writing to Americans.

      Jake- I'll answer your mail offline when I have a bit more time, okay?

      Susanne Krause
    • paulhenrydesign@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
        I almost always think of using "colour" rather than words like
        paint/dye/pigment etc.

        This was especially brought to mind when dealing with ceramics, as "paints"
        do not exist only a collection of oxides and the like.

        Colour without the "s" seems to cover all the requirements, certainly on
        this side of the pond!

        paul

      • IRIS NEVINS
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
          my "paints" are PAINTS, being pigment based, still people call them dyes or inks, and sometimes in order to communicate I do use those terms, but try to tell them they are PAINTS. I guess Ink or Dye is more exotic! I also will give up at times and call them colors.

          iris nevins