Revised answer to "what is marbling"

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2 1:55 PM
      OK , I revised the first question, but I must stop for today:

      Q: What is marbling?

      Marbling, occasionally referred to, as marbleizing is a method of surface design. Colors
      are suspended on a liquid; manipulated using a variety of tools and movements, then a
      material such as a sheet of paper is then laid over top, capturing the floating design. Each
      resulting piece is totally unique, and each application is used to decorate one item at a
      time. Some of the resulting designs resemble marble or stone, hence the term "marbling"
      or "marbled" has been a descriptive term used in the English language for several
      centuries.

      In artistic terms marbling can be considered a type of mono-printing technique. This
      form of marbling on a liquid bath is carefully distinguished from other forms of surface
      design, such as faux marbling or graining, which are painted by hand directly onto a
      surface. Many different methods, materials, and applications for marbling have evolved
      over time.

      Note: I used the term "colors" simply since some use that along with "paint", "ink" (Japan)
      "and "dye" (often used in Turkish). To me all are correct as all have been used. "Color"
      seems neutral and inclusive. Yet I do wonder if anyone would object to Susanne's
      suggestion of the word "paint" , and if that is any clearer? This is meant to be read for
      someone who doesn't know what marbling is. It is easy for us to quibble, but te main
      point here is to educate.

      As an aside, if I'm not mistaken, the term "sanat" in Turkish, can mean BOTH "art" AND
      "craft", the way it is used today. The root of the word is an Arabic term, sana'ah, which
      means "to make, create, manufacture". "Fan" plural "funun" was used in Arabic to mean
      "art" and "arts", so I have always been curious as to how the term "sanat" came to be used
      in this way in Turkey.

      I'm looking for words that are intentionally broad and inclusive. Also trying to think of
      every possible context. Any established marbling authors care to comment?

      Jake