Re: Marbling Q & A

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
      Dear Susanne,

      Thanks for you taking the time to read the Q & A, and to post your comments. I should
      mention in response that it is a constant struggle for me to be inclusive of others who DO
      NOT work on paper, or create "decorated papers" as I do. I find that definition too narrow,
      though it is my own "natural" focus, working in the conservation and restoration of books.

      I often see in some of the criiticism posted that some compare "apples to oranges".
      Knowing the intent, context, and application makes all the difference. I'm looking to build
      bridges here, not burn them!

      That said, I would welcome others to post their thoughts on what I've posted and these
      comments. I'm not trying to be unreasonable, nor an absolutist. Nor am I trying to
      denigrate "craft", becuase I prefer to use "Fine Craft" to describe what I do. Yet I do see
      that "craft" is one facet of this method, in my own humble opininon.

      Additionally, I it helps to provide constructive, objective criticism, and provide suggestions
      for alternative wording. Several have done so off-list already, as I did have many
      grammatical and a few spelling errors. I probably should have slept on it before posting.
      That said, it's a rough draft, and I posted it here simply becuase I knew that it would help
      all of us to think about how we define marbling.

      So, I think I should change it to say that "marbling is a method of surface design".

      Would that be a more acceptable term that cogently describes this process (whether art or
      craft?). Frankly I wasn't looking to get into the art vs craft discussion, YET AGAIN. We
      have discussed this before in the group at length- please search the archives...

      Thanks to all of you who have sent me suggestions. I will revise the draft in a few days
      and this time post it to the files section of the group website as a Microsoft Word rtf file.
      This will preseve my original formatting and allow you to post any comments in another
      color. This method is very helpful for editing...

      with warm regards,

      Jake Benson

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de"