Re: [Marbling] Re: Gum Tragacanth

  • fontpro@usa.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2000
      >Hi...
      >Sinopia has a catalog which lists gum tragacant (for pastels) for $20.00 for
      >100g. I have no idea what "for pastels" means.

      Gum Tragacent is the binding agent used if you want to ,make your own
      soft or hard pastels.

      Mac
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 27, 2000
        Of course this is just going to make me ask more questions! Who knows How
        Much of this gum stuff is needed to make a size?...............
        Jill
        > >Sinopia has a catalog which lists gum tragacant (for pastels) for $20.00
        for
        > >100g. I have no idea what "for pastels" means.
        >

        > Gum Tragacent is the binding agent used if you want to ,make your own
        > soft or hard pastels.
        >
        > Mac
        >

        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: Marbling@onelist.com
        >
        > Shortcut URL to this page:

      • Fred Chang
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 27, 2000
          Jill:

          I wish I were there to say this with a smile, because
          I mean this in a kind way: but if you are truly
          interested in good marbling, FORGET ABOUT THE GUM
          TRAGACANTH!

          USE CARRAGHEENAN.

          Do you want to emulate some amateur session (with the
          gum) or do you want to use the size that professionals
          and serious marblers use, which is carragheenan.

          It seem to me you are going out of your way to use an
          inferior product because you think it may be a little
          cheaper. Do have any idea how heartbreaking it is to
          set up a marbling session with tools, good paints, and
          then have it all go down the drain because of a really
          inferior size?

          I really think you're barking up the wrong tree.

          Respectfully,

          Fred Chang
          --- J Dolphin <jdolphin@...> wrote:
          > Of course this is just going to make me ask more
          > questions! Who knows How
          > Much of this gum stuff is needed to make a
          > size?...............
          > Jill

          =====
          http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • J Dolphin
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 28, 2000
            I wasn't thinking about price of materials at all when I asked the list
            about the gum. To clarify--who here might know the Amount of gum to use to
            make a tray's worth of size?
            Jill

            > USE CARRAGHEENAN.

            > I really think you're barking up the wrong tree.
            >
            > Respectfully,>
            > Fred Chang

            > --- J Dolphin <jdolphin@...> wrote:
            > > Of course this is just going to make me ask more
            > > questions! Who knows How
            > > Much of this gum stuff is needed to make a
            > > Jill
          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 28, 2000
              Thank you for the listing on the catalogue---I went over to take a look--and
              was delighted with their articles on paint and such alone--from all the
              other presentation of materials.
              Jill

              I also don't know if the gum tragacant they offer is the same