Re: more clay

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2005
      Thanks Tom,

      Just for clarity, are you saying you think these were produced by floating colors on a bath?
      or is it a surface design manipulated to look like "floated" marbling?

      Any dandruff marbling? just kidding :)

      There are "combed" and "chevron" patterns and such on the upper surface of the Egyptian
      core-form glass (wonder what they called it?) Even seen tiny hearts on some later, I think
      Ptolomeic period examples. The Corning Glass Museum in Corning, NY has a great display
      of this, with a movie running showing how it was done...

      here's the link showing the steps

      http://www.cmog.org/index.asp?pageId=769

      and Corning's link on Islamic glass making... Fig 4 is a nice perfume bottle

      <Tom wrote: So if i'm being fooled by fakes they are good fakes! That teacup did look
      <pretty modern - and garish. Geez - i've got better taste than that.....

      < But i do have to admit that the "easily mastered" part of the Martha article made me
      <wince a bit. I suppose it's just as easy to produce a magazine!

      Sounds like Martha has set herself up to get a lot of letters screaming "I CAN'T GET IT TO
      WORK!!! HELP!!. Maybe that will inspire the truly obsessed to find this group?

      Jake