Re: Gum Tragacanth

  • D. Guffey
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2000
      J.Dolphin wrote:
      >I have seen gum tragacanth used here once in Ottawa---by a marbler visiting
      >from Turkey---I did not have an opportunity to ask as many questions as I
      >wanted and could kick myself for that! Anyway---Where in North America do
      >you even start looking for large quantities of gum tragacanth????????

      Hi...
      Sinopia has a catalog which lists gum tragacant (for pastels) for $20.00 for
      100g. I have no idea what "for pastels" means. They also offer gum arabic.
      Primarily the store sells pure pigments for those artists who mix their own
      colors. I asked them once who would go to all that trouble and they said
      mainly restorers of fine art who have to match exactly a color on a
      painting. I also don't know if the gum tragacant they offer is the same
      that is used for marbling. If you are interested their web site is
      <www.sinopia.com> and they are located at 3385 22nd St, San Francisco, CA
      94110, (415)824-3180. Their e-mail address is: pigments@...

      d.guffey
    • zozo7bra
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2010
        I want to make sure the newbies understand that I was talking about Gum Tragacanth an binder in making watercolor paints with pigments.

        If you are going to use it to marble on (size), you have to use it by itself .

        Just wanted to clarify.
        thanks.
        momora