Re: [Marbling] size question

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26, 2000
      I have seen gum tragacanth used here once in Ottawa---by a marbler visiting
      from Turkey---I did not have an opportunity to ask as many questions as I
      wanted and could kick myself for that! Anyway---Where in North America do
      you even start looking for large quantities of gum tragacanth????????
      Also--I noted he was Not using acrylics--I am certain these were ground
      pigments he had--obviously brought with him from overseas. I haven't a clue
      how to duplicate this part.
      What I really enjoyed was the maximum control he could get in drawing in
      the size. It was simple and clever at the same time--very attractive.
      Jill
      From: "irisnevins" <irisnevins@...>
      The main

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26, 2000
        Traditionally, The Turkish use ground pigments. Jake Benson has the most
        expertise in these techniques I have seen in the US. Maybe he knows.

        Personally.....I love the carrageenan, as imperfect as it can be sometimes!
        You will also find great control with it and water based paints once you
        get used to it. I just don't worry about its short shelf life once it is in
        solution. I make as much as I need in a day and toss the remainder. Plus
        size gets dirty with pigment as you work on it (which does not affect its
        effectiveness), and I always like to start a new marbling day out fresh
        with clean size. And since I started marbling in the days when marblers
        still boiled and strained the entire weed numerous times over and it was
        always a little different, it seems so quick and easy now just tossing
        powder into a blender with hot water. What can I say...I love it! Gives
        great results with little effort. Expensive.....yes.....but it does go a
        long way per pound.