A better image of the t'ang pottery

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2005
      Here's a better image of a teacup featuring a pattern reminiscent of suminagashi.

      Tom, is this the kind of thing you've been buying?

      http://www.artcn.net/ca/cap/ataoqi236.jpg

      This looks suspicously modern, with the handle on it, but I'm no expert here...

      you can see by comapring the interior and exterior that the pattern seems to run all the
      way through the ceramic.

      Paul, is this what you would call "agate ware"?

      http://www.artcn.net/ca/cap/ataoqi204.jpg

      and then there is this image as well:

      http://www.artcn.net/ca/cap/ataoqi220.jpg

      Here you can see it bled out a little bit during firing. What does that tell you?

      This last one seems to me much like the way that people are geting "marbled" patterns in
      sculpy and fi-mo... long with the more usual "mille-flor" patterns, popular these days...

      I don't read chinese beyond the numbers 1-10... so I have no idea if these are originals or
      reproductions....

      The autheticity of the figurine that I mentioned previously, if you read closely, hasn't really
      been determined...

      hope this helps to better illustrate the discussion!

      Jake
    • paulhenrydesign@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2005
        jake, great to see some pictures!

        no.236 is what in england is called agate type, but this was made by small
        sections of mixed clay,rolled into a sausage roll, sliced and then pieced
        together, you can make out the simlar patterns on the side of the cup, the picture
        is really typical of this type of work.and the marble goes right through the
        cup.

        no.204 is not agate ware, it was done by using drops of the different glazes
        ( grey/Green and orange) all over the lidded box, you can see where the glaze
        has run on the sides , so perahps this could be a form of glaze marbling.. if
        it needs a name

        no.220. similar to no.236. but the section of "agate" pieces have been added
        to plain clay and then rolled out and made into a plate/charger. It's quite
        easy to see the design of 3 centre rounds and then the stripey surrounds.It's
        a bit like slices of salami in a way..!!

        When I was at college I spent quite a bit of time mixed calys together to get
        exactly these sort of patterns, now I seem to work with paper and fabric
        marbling now, and use glazes to create the effects rather than different colours
        of clay!

        paul