Introduction

  • DKMaurer1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
      Hello -- I'm Diane Maurer-Mathison. I've been marbling, teaching workshops,
      selling marbling supplies and writing about paper art for about 20 years.
      (The last two books were PAPER ART and THE ULTIMATE MARBLING HANDBOOK.) I do
      mostly traditional watercolor and suminagashi marbling, but often explore
      paste papers, sometimes marbling over them to create special papers for
      collage. Its great to be part of the community --it gets lonely here in rural
      Pennsylvania!
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
        Now there's something! Marbling OVER a paste paper---if you have a file to
        upload to let us see what you mean--please feel free to do this. I will
        ask--your paste papers are themselves without texture? The paste papers I
        see here around Ottawa always seem to have paint very thickly
        applied--ridging and such--so--I am curious--if your papers are like
        that--the actual marbling on Top of the paper, sinking into the valleys of
        the page created with thick paint edges--what does that end up looking like?
        Thaks
        Jill

      • Bagladyann@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
          Boy, I am really intimated about introducing myself after all these
          professionals on this list. I have always been intrigued with marbling. I had
          bought a kit a long time ago and so many things has prevent me from doing
          this. But at the ripe old age of 61 I seem to be on an art quest. I would
          like to learn how to do this, just for my personal use. I did take a class
          years ago and loved it. I like the idea of paste paper and then marble over
          it. As for me I am a widow of 22 years, raised 4 kids and am now just finding
          the time for me. Wont be much of an asset for this list, but I am interested.
          Hope you won't mind a lurker. Hugs & Sunshine Mikki
        • evibol@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
            Hi everyone,
            My name is Evi Parissi. I am Greek and live in Piraeus near Athens.
            I am really thrilled with the creation of this list, which is growing every day.
            Thank you Jill for taking the initiative.
            I am an amateur marbler and a craftsperson. I first became acquainted with
            a very simple kind of marbling in England at a craft fair. A woman was
            sprinkling oil paints in a tank filled with water, she was swirling the paints
            with a stylus letting chance create beautiful random designs on a piece of
            cloth. At the time I didn't know anything about marbling and it took many years
            to accidentally come across a book called "Decorative Marbling" in a bookstore
            in Athens to learn a bit more about this fascinating craft. Anyway, it took me
            two more years to find more authoritative books to teach myself. Not being able
            to get the right ingredients in Athens (carrageenan, alum, ox gall) my first
            papers were a real mess. I was very frustrated but hooked, so I continued
            searching the Internet, asking for advice and help. Norma Rubovits, a very
            talented marbler answered a desperate message I had posted in some page and we
            became cyber friends. When she gave me the address of Colophon book arts supply,
            and I bought the right ingredients, I created the first presentable papers. Soon
            I was able to produce beautiful papers. I don't have a studio and every time I
            marble I turn my kitchen into an unbelievable mess, so I don't marble as often
            as I would like. In September I had my first child, a baby boy, and marbling is
            a distant dream. I don't know when I'll be able to go back to the tank but
            eventually I will.
            Evi
          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
              Of COURSE you are an an asset to this list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe with this
              list--you are going to get the exact opportunity you seek to do hands on
              marbling. And THAT will be terrific!!!!!
              Jill

              >From: Bagladyann@...
              Wont be much of an asset for this list, but I am interested.
              >Hope you won't mind a lurker. Hugs & Sunshine Mikki

            • G
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                Hi, I am Georgie McNeese and I haven't tried marbling, but it sounds
                absolutely fascinating. I am looking forward to learning from all of
                you. Thanks Jill for the list. It looks like it's going to be very
                popular.

                evibol@... wrote:

                > From: evibol@...
                >
                > Hi everyone,
                > My name is Evi Parissi. I am Greek and live in Piraeus near Athens.
                > I am really thrilled with the creation of this list, which is growing every day.
                > Thank you Jill for taking the initiative.
                > I am an amateur marbler and a craftsperson. I first became acquainted with
                > a very simple kind of marbling in England at a craft fair. A woman was
                > sprinkling oil paints in a tank filled with water, she was swirling the paints
                > with a stylus letting chance create beautiful random designs on a piece of
                > cloth. At the time I didn't know anything about marbling and it took many years
                > to accidentally come across a book called "Decorative Marbling" in a bookstore
                > in Athens to learn a bit more about this fascinating craft. Anyway, it took me
                > two more years to find more authoritative books to teach myself. Not being able
                > to get the right ingredients in Athens (carrageenan, alum, ox gall) my first
                > papers were a real mess. I was very frustrated but hooked, so I continued
                > searching the Internet, asking for advice and help. Norma Rubovits, a very
                > talented marbler answered a desperate message I had posted in some page and we
                > became cyber friends. When she gave me the address of Colophon book arts supply,
                > and I bought the right ingredients, I created the first presentable papers. Soon
                > I was able to produce beautiful papers. I don't have a studio and every time I
                > marble I turn my kitchen into an unbelievable mess, so I don't marble as often
                > as I would like. In September I had my first child, a baby boy, and marbling is
                > a distant dream. I don't know when I'll be able to go back to the tank but
                > eventually I will.
                > Evi

                > Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. ZERO. Rates as low as 0.0
                > percent Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no hidden
                > fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the credit you deserve.
                > Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at

                > Shortcut URL to this page:

                Adel Ga Online
                Webmeistress
                http://www.adelga.com
                Get Paid for surfing the web click here:
                http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=EFW-151
                Be sure to use ID# EFW-151
              • ElizabethOrme
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 31, 2000
                  Hello to everyone on the list.

                  My housband and J have created a web site regarding marbled paper:

                  Venice Paper is a sort of brand name we believe appropriate to pay tribute to an Ebru Master, Alberto Valese, located in Venice who kindly showed us his way of marbling.
                  We are not professionals and we are located in Italy.
                  Our interest in decorated paper started in an old bookbinding shop where, for the first time, we saw woodengraved decorated paper ( xilography) and the traditional marbled ones.
                  Since then we read many books among which we may suggest:

                  Le papier maebré son histoire e sa fabrication     Doizy  Ipert

                  Marbling Paper     Anne Chamber

                  Marbled Paper   Richard J. Wolf

                  Varieties of Spanish Marbling    Iris Nevins

                  Since then we have lwasted a lot of paper, ox gall and colors.
                  Starting off with caragheen moss, worked in the old way, we have ended up using methilcellulosa and from the beginning we have been using goeche: Maimeri and Lukas.
                  We like doing spanish very much.
                  The reference model was  " New Jersey Ripple" by Iris Nevins in her book " Variety of.....

                  So thanks Jill for your invitation, we are now on the list.
                • John Ang Cheng Siew
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 31, 2000
                    Welcome to the list.

                    I was also fortunate to have met Mr Valese in Venice. We found his shop
                    while holidaying there. At that time I only had a passing interest in
                    marbling. We struck a conversation about his work and he was kind enough to
                    invite my wife and I to his studio where he demostrated marbling to us. He
                    did a piece of Italian vien and on that he did some flower design. I got to
                    keep that marbled paper. From that time onwards I found great interest in
                    marbling.

                    I believe Alberto using tragacanth gum for his size and he doesn't alum his
                    paper. I forgot to ask him what type of paint he uses. Do you have any idea?

                    Mr Valese shop is at Venice, S.Marco - Campo S. stefano 3471
                    P.S. He has a pet dog call sumi.

                    At 05:09 PM 31-03-2000 +0200, you wrote:
                    > Hello to everyone on the list. My housband and J have created a web
                    >site regarding marbled paper: www.lemarcheonline.net/venicepaper
                    >Venice Paper is a sort of brand name we believe appropriate to pay tribute
                    >to an Ebru Master, Alberto Valese, located in Venice who kindly showed us
                    >his way of marbling.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    .
                    .-P

                    John Ang Cheng Siew
                    My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
                  • carylhanc@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 9, 2000
                      Hi!
                      I have been lurking for a couple of weeks - thanks to Diane Maurer for
                      giving me the address! And thanks to all for their generous sharing of
                      information. The 2002 date is on my calendar! I don't remember how I
                      learned to marble - probably self taught, then a *very* basic "Intro to
                      Marbling" class got added to the list of other classes I was teaching at the
                      time - machine embroidery, quilting, embellishment. Each time I teach, I
                      realize how much I don't know, and I am in total awe of the folks who do
                      production marbling. I wish I had time for more marbling, and space for a
                      permament set up. My goals are to do more marbling and work to incorporate
                      that fabric with other commercial fabrics into my wearable art. I think it
                      is great fun to add stitching to bring out some of the lines of the marbling
                      design. Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
                      can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
                      Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
                      carylhanc@...
                    • D. Guffey
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 9, 2000
                        Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
                        >can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
                        >Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
                        >carylhanc@...

                        Hi Caryl,

                        Although I've never done a scarf as wide as 36" I think you could
                        incorporate a method I found to do long scarfs that were too long to hold at
                        both ends. Get a very, very thin flexible rod (one that will bend a bit
                        without breaking.) The rod should be slightly longer than the width of the
                        scarf (36"), insert a needle at each end (hammer in the needle carefully as
                        to not break off the eye, the larger the needle the better). Assuming your
                        scarfs are pre-hemmed, bend the rod and stretch the scarf between the two
                        needles. The tension of the needle at the hem edge will hold the scarf
                        taut. Do this for opposite end of the scarf. Now hold up the scarf by the
                        two rods, it will dip in the middle, let the middle drop down on the
                        marbling tank (it somewhat anchors it in place) and then gently lower the
                        two edges with the rods.

                        This explanation is perfectly clear in my mind, I just hope I've described
                        it enough to make sense. If not, e-mail me with what isn't clear and I'll
                        try to re-describe it.

                        Good luck,

                        d.guffey
                      • D. Guffey
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 16, 2000
                          At 07:31 PM 4/16/00 EDT, you wrote:
                          >Hi, D. Guffey!
                          >Thanks for the explanation of your device. I sort of have the picture.... I
                          >was driving from Indy to Chicago last week for a stitching workshop, and
                          >figured out an alternative - knot four threads, and stitch them through the
                          >corners of the scarf. Clip the ends of the threads in bankers clips which
                          >are attached to a long (wider than the scarf) board. That way I will have
                          >control of the four corners. (The dog kept dropping her corner - <VBG>).
                          >then, after the scarf is safely down on the size, I can unclip the threads,
                          >and pull them out after rinsing. What do you think? I haven't had time to
                          >try it yet - just got home yesterday.
                          >Thanks for writing!
                          >Caryl Hancock, Indy

                          Hi Caryl,

                          One of the advantages of marbling with silk is how smoothly it goes down on
                          the size, with very little chances of air bubbles that you get with paper.
                          One disadvantage I see to attaching the silk to a hard board is that you
                          will increase your chances of getting air bubbles (voids) on your design.
                          By keeping the silk drapped, dropping it to the center first and then laying
                          down the ends, you have less of a chance of errors. But then again, nothing
                          ventured, nothing gained.

                          Best of luck in your adventures,

                          d.guffey
                        • J Dolphin
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 2, 2002
                            Wow! Onelist was THIS email list at one point! They got bought out and
                            taken over by Yahoo--which is why we're all here...............I
                            started/opened a marbling forum at Delphi.com, as an alternate place to
                            post. I was concerned that at some point Yahoo could flatten This email
                            list--and a back-up would be handy. The Delphi site should still be
                            operating--and has a much different 'face' in which to post. I think in some
                            respects it is a better set-up--as threads can be grouped and information
                            isolated...........Delphi however is about to go 'nova' in some
                            way--requesting fees. It has not been completely instituted--so the marbling
                            site I opened there has not been flattened--and remains free to use.
                            To get to the marbling site at Delphi, this is the corrected link:
                            http://www.delphiforums.com/
                            They do the usual sign in--blah-blah-blah sign up bit. Once you get past
                            That---you need to go here:
                            http://forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start
                            Anyone from here is welcome to post there and vice versa.
                            Thanks
                            Jill

                            > Dear Jill, I have just stumbled across Message 1074 on the Onelist
                            > site - is this the website I tried unsuccessfully to get into last
                            > year - so far I see the notices are dated in the early 2000's. The
                            > site I joined and then coudn't get any replies from was
                            > www.delphi.com/marbling. I would like to contribute if I can access
                            > it properly . . . . Joan Ajala---

                          • sixshort
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                                -Hi Jill, I signed into the www.delphiforums.com - no problem. How
                                do you get into the next bit -
                                forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start? I could find no links to
                                that. I have been using a computer for only six months, and there
                                are many gaps in my knowledge . . . . it is probably the simplest
                                thing and blindingly obvious! Joan Ajala--