Traditional European paste paper

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2005
      Dear friends in paper decorating-
      for those who would like to try their hand at traditional European paste paper, there is a
      4-days-course I will be giving at Centro del bel libro Ascona (Switzerland) from 5th - 8th
      April 2005. We'll explore the technique from the very beginning to the more sophisticated
      patterns (Moravian style, early 20th century) - Tools, paints, starches, surfaces... Learning
      to see the pattern and to 'dissect' and understand it... Starting a collection of samples...
      Ascona on the shore of Lago Maggiore is a pleasure in itself, and it is the time of
      Magnolias!
      If you are interested, mail directly to the secretary: info@...

      Susanne Krause
    • g.m@tiscali.cz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 16, 2005
        Hi,
        I am a beginner in marbling and when reading your mail I became curious what
        Moravian marbling style is like. Moravia is a part of Czech Rep. where I
        live and my father is a Moravian. :-)
        Could you send me a picture?
        Currently, I am interested in suminagashi and suimonga marbling. However, I
        do not have good experiences with marbling on plain water. All sorts of inks
        sink. Can it be a tap water problem?
        Gabriela

        > for those who would like to try their hand at traditional European paste
        paper, there is a
        > 4-days-course I will be giving at Centro del bel libro Ascona
        (Switzerland) from 5th - 8th
        > April 2005. We'll explore the technique from the very beginning to the
        more sophisticated
        > patterns (Moravian style, early 20th century) - Tools, paints, starches,
        surfaces... Learning
        > to see the pattern and to 'dissect' and understand it... Starting a
        collection of samples...
        > Ascona on the shore of Lago Maggiore is a pleasure in itself, and it is
        the time of
        > Magnolias!
        > If you are interested, mail directly to the secretary: info@...
        >
        > Susanne Krause

      • 黒田隆二
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 16, 2005
          Both Suminagashi and Suimonga use tap water. It should be plane water(soft
          water) without any kind of metaric ion. Specially, metaric ion of cupper,
          iron, aluminium and etc. influence to softness of floating inks on the
          surface of water. According to my experience, bottled non gas water can be
          used for good Suimonga and Suminagashi.
          see http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~kuroda/
          Takaji Kuroda
          > I am a beginner in marbling and when reading your mail I became curious
          what
          > Moravian marbling style is like. Moravia is a part of Czech Rep. where I
          > live and my father is a Moravian. :-)
          > Could you send me a picture?
          > Currently, I am interested in suminagashi and suimonga marbling. However,
          > do not have good experiences with marbling on plain water. All sorts of
          inks
          > sink. Can it be a tap water problem?
          > Gabriela

        • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2005
            Gabriela-
            the expression Moravian Style is used for a certain sort of paste paper that was produced
            mainly in the 18th century. The Herrnhuter Brüdergemeine / Moravian Community was
            (and is) a pietistic congregation,
            founded and based in the little town of Herrnhut in Saxonia, Germany. They were living for
            the most part by several crafts, of which paste paper making was only one. They didn't
            invent it, of course, the technique is much older, but they developed it to such a quality
            that this special style came to be known as "Herrnhuter Papier" resp. Moravian Paper.

            The patterns went out of fashion in the first decades of the 19th century, production in
            Herrnhut ended in the 1830ies. The patterns themselves, however, have never stopped to
            fascinate. Their traces are to be seen in the artist's sheets of the arts and crafts movement
            and even in mid-20th century wallpapers and curtains. Most absolute beginners, wwhen
            seeing a Moravian pattern made, gasp and can't wait to try their hand.

            Have a look at my website www.hamburgerbuntpapier.de for some samples - there are
            two on the 'Welcome'-page and several more in the Gallery.

            Susanne Krause

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, <g.m@t...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            > I am a beginner in marbling and when reading your mail I became curious what
            > Moravian marbling style is like. Moravia is a part of Czech Rep. where I
            > live and my father is a Moravian. :-)
            > Could you send me a picture?
            > Currently, I am interested in suminagashi and suimonga marbling. However, I
            > do not have good experiences with marbling on plain water. All sorts of inks
            > sink. Can it be a tap water problem?
            > Gabriela

          • IRIS NEVINS
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2005
              I believe it was originated by nuns? The papers are wonderful.
              irisnevins

              Have a look at my website www.hamburgerbuntpapier.de<http://www.hamburgerbuntpapier.de/> for some samples - there are