Re: Open Studio

  • marble@azstarnet.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2000
      Wow! Thanks, you all!! Your response to just this little blurb about our
      open studio was wonderful! It once again shows us that when we venture into
      the "art" community and out of the "quilt" community, our work meets with
      much more interest and approval.

      I appreciate your concern about sending directions lots of times, but I
      would prefer not to have the address directions that available on a public
      site. We have our address on our web site, but the actual
      directions...well, call me a little cautious! I have written them out so I
      can just copy and paste when asked for them, so the work should be less.

      Jill - concerning your question about marbling -

      > Speaking of marbling on fabric--you must have been reading my
      >mind--as I have a small project to do that will involve marbling on cotton.
      >Just what is the set up to prepare the cloth? Can I still use acrylics as my
      >colour? How do I block or mask parts of the cloth I do not want to marble?

      On our web site I give a quick overview of setting up for marbling fabric.
      Briefly - set up the bath the day before so it can set - in the summer we
      have been using a set time of 12-14 hours because of the heat. In the
      winter it is a full 24 hours. We alum the day before, especially in the
      summer. Any longer and the fibers of the cotton will rot and shred - we
      learned that one the hard way. I iron the morning of to get the bulk of the
      wrinkles out. Heat set in the dryer, iron again with some sizing.We use
      Ceramcoat acrylics almost exclusively, although we will use the flourescent
      Createx paints for special effects. Masking cloth - aye, there's the rub!
      We marble full pieces (up to 3/4 yard), and have had very mixed results
      with covering areas. On the agenda for next year is to experiment with
      ideas in that direction. Right now we are getting ready for what looks to
      be a very busy holiday season.

      I'll be happy to post a review of our open studio. Your enthusiasm really
      surprised me - I'm thinking we will only have a few people present if we
      are lucky. This is something we want to do on a quarterly basis, and offer
      classes, but it will need to wait until we have a larger location. I
      figured the occasional Open Studio would be a way to try things out. Let me
      pick your collective brains again - anything you would particularly want to
      see if you came to an open studio?

      Thanks for your support!

      Linda and Dean

      Hand-marbled Fine Art Fabrics