Bottles, Brooms, and Whisks.

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2005
      > Jake....I use plastic squeeze bottles, Boston Rounds with Yorker Caps.

      I have some of those too. I also like hair-dye bottles from the Beauty
      supply store. Very clean, re-used twist-off mustard bottles make
      really big drops too... if you can get the twist right and the
      "dribble" even enough... I knew someone else who re-used liquid
      detergent bottles, but that was for acrylics. Wouldn't touch it for
      watercolor!

      > Very
      > traditional, LOL. O am an oaf and spill all the time otherwise. For
      > stone
      > patterns I use highly Traditional (just kidding) plastic whisk broom
      > staws. I
      > cut them and tie with a rubber band at top. Easy, they never mold
      > like the corn
      > broom.

      Good to know. I rinse the corn whisks with alcohol, and it stops the
      mold, but they eventually grow weak break off into the size, and die.
      I tried a small cheap plastic broom from the Dollar Store, it was
      horrible! I haven't tried the plastic whisks you mention- I think all
      of the suppliers (including yourself?) are selling these? it looked
      like a bunch of optic fibers. I guess it is high time I try them out!
      They just seemed so small compared to my (relatively) big brooms....
      With these I can cover the big tray very quickly in one pass.

      Jake

    • Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2005
        Just to be clear, you're talking about a plastic broom whisk? Maybe I didn't try the right
        kind? It had extruded plastic filaments that were rather thick and squarish-looking. It
        occurs to me I have seen some small plastic brooms with finer filaments...

        What i meant were some fairly fancy brushes Ithat were marketed in Ink & gall.... I think
        they even slipped up into the handle?

        More to try.... it never ends, and that's the fun!

        thanks iris!

        Jake

        > Nope....I don't sell them, they are so cheap and available in any big supermarket.
      • IRIS NEVINS
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2005

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2005
            yes....broom whisk....
            Just to be clear, you're talking about a plastic broom whisk? Maybe I didn't try the right
            kind? It had extruded plastic filaments that were rather thick and squarish-looking. It
            occurs to me I have seen some small plastic brooms with finer filaments...

            What i meant were some fairly fancy brushes Ithat were marketed in Ink & gall.... I think
            they even slipped up into the handle?

            More to try.... it never ends, and that's the fun!

            thanks iris!

            Jake

            > Nope....I don't sell them, they are so cheap and available in any big supermarket.

          • Gail MacKenzie
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
              Plastic squeeze bottles work for me. I found ³rooster sauce² at Asian
              grocery stores. I have no idea what the stuff is really, but it is red,
              smooth and really hot!! The bottle is 8 oz. and a nice, soft plastic. The
              cap is a two-part snapped together and turn to open and close. The bottle
              with sauce is half the cost of plastic bottles by themselves. I¹ve been
              putting the discarded hot sauce around my flower beds as a deer and rodent
              repellent.

            • Jake Benson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
                Gail! What a GREAT idea!

                What you are referring to is a kind of Vietnamese style chili sauce called "Sriracha" sauce.
                (That's "shree- RA-cha", I can ask my Viet-phonic cousin if that's the correct
                pronunciation) I've also diluted it in a spray bottle to prevent aphids and bugs on my
                vegetable plants. I do wonder if any oil residues may be intere, but there's probably
                enough vinegar in the mix to emulsify it. A quick rinse with some distilled vinegar would
                probably get rid of any residues...

                http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm

                everything this company makes is HOT, HOTTER, and HOTTEST....

                Jake

                --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@s...>

                wrote:
                > Plastic squeeze bottles work for me. I found ³rooster sauce² at Asian
                > grocery stores. I have no idea what the stuff is really, but it is red,
                > smooth and really hot!! The bottle is 8 oz. and a nice, soft plastic. The
                > cap is a two-part snapped together and turn to open and close. The bottle
                > with sauce is half the cost of plastic bottles by themselves. I¹ve been
                > putting the discarded hot sauce around my flower beds as a deer and rodent
                > repellent.

              • Gail MacKenzie
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005