marbo-gum= Sodium Alginate?

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2004
      Best wishes to all of you for the coming New year. May it be absolutely MARBELOUS!

      Carol, I wonder if "Marbo-Gum" is ProChem's attempt to market sodium alginate instead
      of carragheenan which is much more expensive, and sometimes in short supply as we
      learned earlier this year. Sodium alginate is MUCH cheaper. I've never used it, but know
      that some do with acrylics, which is the kind of color that ProChem Makes.

      I wonder Socium Alginate compares to methyl cellulose or guar gum for use with acrylics?
      it; been a while, but I've used a mix of carragheenan and methyl cellulose 1:1 for acrylic
      marbling, and it worked very well for me. Perhaps a similar combination using alginate
      would work?

      Searching the archives, I see that Sonja Idema and "Elena Silk" both use it. Jan Bond didn't
      like it as much as carragheenan. Would any of you care to comment? I think that Van
      Waters & Rogers was selling small amounts of it at big-chain art stores in the US like
      PEARL or Micheal's.

      Maybe you can get a sample of Marbo-gum and compare it with the alginate?

      Best of Luck!

      Jake Benson

      PS- I'm still drafting a response about about aluming and not aluming. It's gotten so long,
      it's OUT of control! When I'm done editing, I'll break it into smaller, digestible sections
      and send it along.

    • danilo giannoni
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 29, 2004
        hello to everybody
        i am reading your e mail and i am laffingh my ass out.
        ones more again i want ask to all ov you a question.... did any of you has an idea ov what is ebru or marbling???
        you are talking about something very mistick and religious with 1000 years ov tradition.... like it's something you can make with chimicals or acrylic.... ebru it's just su kitre and hot... the 3 turkish element..... and God Wish......
        if any ov you want realy learn give me a call i can organize curses for you....

        if you want see a real marbling artist check this out

        www.atelierayn.com

        he's one ov the best in the world.... a real artist

        Jake Benson <handbindery@...> wrote:

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • danilo giannoni
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 29, 2004
          sorry

          the web site to see real ebru works it's

          www.aynartdesign.com

          the other one it's over....

          ops

          happy new years to all

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 29, 2004
            hello

            www.aynartdesign.com

            one ov the best artist in the world.......

            happy new years

          • gretchen vansant

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
                I feel it is more important to share skills, tolerance, understanding
                and knowledge. I leave the pissing matches to the politicians and
                adolescents.

                Caroline

                --- gretchen vansant <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

                > Danilo, You sure raised some dander here! Your work is

                http://my.yahoo.com
              • IRIS NEVINS
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
                  Cold coke and heavy metal! LOL! Great! What else do people marble to? I marble with no music on and practice my oh so awful singing these days! I hope it makes me get better! But I love the old Irish Scottish and English Ballads makes the day move quickly. Lots of water to drink after a big mug of strong tea in the AM.

                  Danilo, You sure raised some dander here! Your work is wonderful,and you have years of experience and tradition.I love the various roads you have taken.But this is a place to learn (hence taking your "curses" you mean courses?) not for laughing your ass off at people ,who are just trying to get info!. I must admit the ladies and men ,here,can have long stuffy conversations about chemicals,but I set that info to good use,when I'm ready to go into areas .I find the medium to be very ZEN,and I too light American Indian Sage when I work (JILL!) Along with a cold coke and heavy metal music This is my future,moving with the past,lets just be sweet and share good thoughts! Peace Love and Charity for the New Year, Gretchen marbledfabric.com

                  danilo giannoni <danilo123us@...<mailto:danilo123us@...>> wrote:
                  hello

                  www.aynartdesign.com<http://www.aynartdesign.com/>

                  one ov the best artist in the world.......

                  happy new years

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Gail MacKenzie
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
                    With the state of the world balancing on the third or fourth level of
                    Dante¹s Inferno it¹s with feeble voice that I wish you all A Happy New Year!
                    May the marbling muses bring us blessings and good cheer.
                    As I am certain it was Danilo¹s aim, and not only a possible poor command of
                    English: curiosity drove me to look up the listed website. I think he might
                    have meant to say ³warm coke and heavy metal music...² Flaccidity could
                    also be a possible inspiration. Ingrid, did you mean mistik as in German?
                    I think Amy Segami and Danilo really NEED to get together!! What a mountain
                    of marbling mystik could result!!
                    My tea kettle is whistling. Regards, Gail M

                  • gretchen vansant
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
                      Well I,m confused, I,m an ex american rocker,and after the party was over I took up marbling as "therapy" to get clean. Its my "addiction" of 7 years now,along with a good soda,and metal music.Gail.... ,marbledfabric.com is my web site,and I hope (because I value your opinion),you did not consider my work A warm soda. Between my marbled creations,learning to sew,and discovering the world of quilting,I'm a new woman,doing what I truly love ART!
                      Gretchen
                      Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@...> wrote: With the state of the world balancing on the third or fourth level of
                      Dante�s Inferno it�s with feeble voice that I wish you all A Happy New Year!
                      May the marbling muses bring us blessings and good cheer.
                      As I am certain it was Danilo�s aim, and not only a possible poor command of
                      English: curiosity drove me to look up the listed website. I think he might
                      have meant to say �warm coke and heavy metal music...� Flaccidity could