Open Studio

  • marble@azstarnet.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9 8:13 AM
      Hi all - I'm mostly a lurker, but I've been corresponding with several of
      you privately. I would like to invite you to our first Open Studio, on
      Saturday, September 16, from 10-2:00 - in Tucson. I know, I know, it's
      still hot, but the bulk of the heat will be gone, so we shouldn't suffer!

      We marble fabrics of all kinds, and I know the majority of members on this
      list work with paper. You might enjoy seeing another application of
      marbling. We plan on a demonstration, plus time to marble swatches of your
      own, fondle fabric, and share ideas for and about marbling. We'll have
      snacks and beverages, so come for any or all of the time. Those of you in
      Southern Arizona, we're easy to find. For those of you who like to travel a
      distance, we're right off the Interstates.

      Email us if you are interested, and we will get you directions. Hope to
      meet some of you -

      Dean and Linda
      Marble-T Design

      Hand-marbled Fine Art Fabrics
      Holiday Gift Baskets - order yours now!
      http://www.marbledfab.com

      My other life: Academic Services, Inc.
      http://www.academicserv.org
    • marble@azstarnet.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10 8:05 AM
        Wow! Thanks, you all!! Your response to just this little blurb about our
        open studio was wonderful! It once again shows us that when we venture into
        the "art" community and out of the "quilt" community, our work meets with
        much more interest and approval.

        I appreciate your concern about sending directions lots of times, but I
        would prefer not to have the address directions that available on a public
        site. We have our address on our web site, but the actual
        directions...well, call me a little cautious! I have written them out so I
        can just copy and paste when asked for them, so the work should be less.

        Jill - concerning your question about marbling -

        > Speaking of marbling on fabric--you must have been reading my
        >mind--as I have a small project to do that will involve marbling on cotton.
        >Just what is the set up to prepare the cloth? Can I still use acrylics as my
        >colour? How do I block or mask parts of the cloth I do not want to marble?

        On our web site I give a quick overview of setting up for marbling fabric.
        Briefly - set up the bath the day before so it can set - in the summer we
        have been using a set time of 12-14 hours because of the heat. In the
        winter it is a full 24 hours. We alum the day before, especially in the
        summer. Any longer and the fibers of the cotton will rot and shred - we
        learned that one the hard way. I iron the morning of to get the bulk of the
        wrinkles out. Heat set in the dryer, iron again with some sizing.We use
        Ceramcoat acrylics almost exclusively, although we will use the flourescent
        Createx paints for special effects. Masking cloth - aye, there's the rub!
        We marble full pieces (up to 3/4 yard), and have had very mixed results
        with covering areas. On the agenda for next year is to experiment with
        ideas in that direction. Right now we are getting ready for what looks to
        be a very busy holiday season.

        I'll be happy to post a review of our open studio. Your enthusiasm really
        surprised me - I'm thinking we will only have a few people present if we
        are lucky. This is something we want to do on a quarterly basis, and offer
        classes, but it will need to wait until we have a larger location. I
        figured the occasional Open Studio would be a way to try things out. Let me
        pick your collective brains again - anything you would particularly want to
        see if you came to an open studio?

        Thanks for your support!

        Linda and Dean