Harunobu Ukiyo-e Painting over suminagashi

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 2004
      Hello Everyone,

      A Japanese Ukiyo-e ("floating world") woodblock print over suminagashi
      by the master 18th c. master Harunobu has been mounted online. It can
      be found on a German-language site devoted to Japanese printmaking and
      paper arts:

      http://www.druckstelle.info/de/holzschnitt_japan_abb.htm

      This is the only such example of a historic Ukiyo-e print over
      suminagashi that I've seen so far. It would be nice to find a specific
      date for it, if it can be ascertained. Harunobu lived around 1724-1770
      C.E.

      Hopefully there are more examples like this in existence that just need
      to be recognized for what they are. So far no luck with Google image
      searches.

      To view a better image , please refer to this publication (Thanks to
      Ingrid Weimann for this citation):

      Author: Takahashi, Seiichiro
      Title: Harunobu
      Publisher: Kodansha
      Place: Tokyo & Palo Alto, CA
      Date: 1968

      Enjoy!

      Jake Benson

    • Caroline Tigeress
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2004
        --- Jake Benson <handbindery@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > A Japanese Ukiyo-e ("floating world") woodblock print over
        > suminagashi
        > by the master 18th c. master Harunobu has been mounted online. It

        While I am no means a master, I have done similar work:

        http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218906

        The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Jake Benson
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
          Caronline Tigress wrioe:

          > While I am no means a master, I have done similar work

          Thanks for posting this. It is great to see marbling used in mixed-media compositions, as
          it helps marbling become better ( and rightly) recognized as a form of monorpinting. It
          should encourage everyone (myself included!) to post their work to the photo album on
          the group web site or link to images on your own site.

          jake