Marbling gourds

  • carylhanc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2004
      Hi, All,
      A friend of mine wants to learn to marble, and I am glad to share what I know
      and point her to resources. We are planning a "play day" soon. She is an
      incredible gourd artist, painting finely detailed pictures on gourds of all
      sizes and shapes. She wants to marble on gourds as an adjunct to her art. Is
      there anyone on the list who can give me some information on prepping the
      surface or other techniques, like getting it into the size without popping up?
      Please and thank you!
      Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

    • Caroline Tigeress
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 26, 2004
        --- carylhanc@... wrote:

        > there anyone on the list who can give me some information on prepping
        > the
        > surface or other techniques, like getting it into the size without
        > popping up?

        Intersting Idea. My suggestion would be to hot-glue a rod or some such
        item onto the gourd in a discreet and removeable manner, then to create
        a, 'vat' of carageenan to roll the gourd in. I'd move very slowly, and
        make sure the colors were very intense. I have a tendancy to use a
        thicker carageenan base, and find that works well for many of my
        marbling projects. I'd alum it in the same way as I'd alum anything
        else.

        Caroline

        http://vote.yahoo.com