[Marbling] Hello to the group plus dropper bottle source

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2000
      Hi Susa......

      When my acrylics do that, I water them down a bit. Distilled bottled water
      is best. It slows down the tendency of acrylic base to "crackle"........it
      dries quickly on exposure to air, that's why it happens. The white may just
      have extra acyrlic base in it for whatever the reason the manufacturer may
      have.

      Also try Consolidated Plastics, they should be in the 800# directory
      through information....I have momentarily misplaced it. You can get Boston
      Round Bottles with Yorker caps, and I don't believe there is a minimum
      order. Price may be about the same or a little lower. The more you buy,
      they get cheaper, but not by much.

      Iris Nevins
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2000
        Welcome--glad you found us!
        Jill

        > Hello, My name is Susa Glenn and I live in Fredericksburg, Texas.
        > I've been marbling for about 3 months now.
      • Susa Glenn
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2000
          Hi, Iris, I had trouble with the yorker caps dribbling & not
          delivering the same size drop consistantly because air leaks into the
          bottle around the cap screw threads. These other caps are like eye
          medicine droppers - they give me more control. Maybe I just got hold
          of a defective batch of yorker caps - I got them from U.S.Plastics.
          Anyhow, I like these new ones better.

          And thank you for the tip on adding water. My difficulty is that I'm
          working on dark fabric and when I add water, I "water down" the
          opacity of the paint & then I've got another set of problems. I guess
          I need to find a happy medium where the paint doesn't crack but it is
          still opaque.

          - In Marbling@egroups.com, irisnevins <irisnevins@c...> wrote:
          > Hi Susa......
          >
          > When my acrylics do that, I water them down a bit. Distilled
          bottled water
          > is best. It slows down the tendency of acrylic base to
          "crackle"........it
          > dries quickly on exposure to air, that's why it happens. The white
          may just
          > have extra acyrlic base in it for whatever the reason the
          manufacturer may
          > have.
          >
          > Also try Consolidated Plastics, they should be in the 800# directory
          > through information....I have momentarily misplaced it. You can get
          Boston
          > Round Bottles with Yorker caps, and I don't believe there is a
          minimum
          > order. Price may be about the same or a little lower. The more you
          buy,
          > they get cheaper, but not by much.
          >
          > Iris Nevins
        • Laura Sims
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 8, 2000
            Dear Susa,

            You may want to try Golden GAC 100 to increase film integrity for pin holes
            and GAC 800 to slow the drying process and reduce crazing.

            Good Luck, Laura