hello

  • Deirdre Thompson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5 9:29 AM
      hello,
      My name is Deirdre Thompson, I am a bookbinder and live in Newcastle
      uupon Tyne in the U.K.
      I used to marble a lot but got frustrated and quit. I really wanted to
      work with ox-gall and water colours and a caragheen moss size you know
      the whole trade bookbinding thing. But was so unhappy at the results.
      On of the biggest bits of learning I have experienced is that in the
      books on marbling that I have sweated over. The author only uses the
      best examples of her work in the photographs!!!!
      Once I realised that the learning curve for marbling was steep, I
      switched over to Liquidtex marblease and a bath from some hidieous
      unnatural marbleing system and then I started to get results.
      I have'nt done any for a while but I am encouraged by joining this
      group to start up again
      hope to learn some useful stuff
      deirdre
    • hayrettin YANGOZ
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2003
        hello :))

      • figo_botanix
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2009
          Hi everyone

          Sharon here from Northamptonshire, England.

          I'm a complete beginner and the have only known about marbling for a few weeks, after thumbing through the back pages of one of my art catalogues and then being enlightened via google. But I've worked a lot with inks & watercolor and can tell I'm already hooked on marbling, without having tried it yet!

          I don't want to bombard the forum with stupid questions so what would you consider the best source of information on marbling techniques for a novice?

          ...But I can't resist asking a few questions right away. One – I have this vision of marbling paper which has regions covered by (solidified) masking fluid, to leave areas unmarbled that I can later fill with pen and ink drawings. Is this possible? What happens to the marbling inks at the interface of paper and mask?

          Two - one thing I don't quite get about the marbling process is after the paper is dipped (and I intend to use watercolour paper), can and should I use a normal paper stretching technique to ensure the paper dries flat??

          thanks a lot,
          Sharon