Marbling and Ben Franklin

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2004
      Richard Wolfe has long wanted to establish a connection between marbling in=
      the US and
      Ben Franklin...but is reticent to do so given a paucity of evidence. Yet I=
      have often
      wondered if these marbled sheets were imported or not befor ethey were prin=
      ted upon.
      The $20 note seems to me like it would have to have been done "in house", b=
      ut I cannot
      say for certain.

      But you are saying that there were comissions for marbling in this book? s=
      o it may well be
      that he was making some amount of it- or his shop was. Would you remember =
      if the
      supplies were actually marbling supplies? colors and gum? Thanks for tell=
      ing me about
      this source though! I will do my best to find it.

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@s...> wrote:
      > Jake, I spent a day, about 10 years ago, in the Philadelphia Historical
      > Societies reading room, and, somehow, had access to Franklin¹s accounting=

      > diaries. He listed everything he brought, from whom and how much. There=

      > were several entries about marbled paper purchases and commissions and
      > supplies. I wish I remember more clearly. Gail

    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2004
        Jake, When I return to Philadelphia in February, I wouldn¹t mind at all
        going back and making notes on the various entries about marbled paper
        purchases and supplies. I went looking for information because I am also
        intrigued by the history of the marbled borders on the early continental
        currency notes. Regards, Gail