Re: [Marbling] Better Links

  • Gail MacKenzie
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2004
      Jake, I spent a day, about 10 years ago, in the Philadelphia Historical
      Societies reading room, and, somehow, had access to Franklin¹s accounting
      diaries. He listed everything he brought, from whom and how much. There
      were several entries about marbled paper purchases and commissions and
      supplies. I wish I remember more clearly. Gail

    • Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2004
        Richard Wolfe has long wanted to establish a connection between marbling in=
        the US and
        Ben Franklin...but is reticent to do so given a paucity of evidence. Yet I=
        have often
        wondered if these marbled sheets were imported or not befor ethey were prin=
        ted upon.
        The $20 note seems to me like it would have to have been done "in house", b=
        ut I cannot
        say for certain.

        But you are saying that there were comissions for marbling in this book? s=
        o it may well be
        that he was making some amount of it- or his shop was. Would you remember =
        if the
        supplies were actually marbling supplies? colors and gum? Thanks for tell=
        ing me about
        this source though! I will do my best to find it.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2004
          Jake, When I return to Philadelphia in February, I wouldn¹t mind at all
          going back and making notes on the various entries about marbled paper
          purchases and supplies. I went looking for information because I am also
          intrigued by the history of the marbled borders on the early continental
          currency notes. Regards, Gail