RE: [Marbling] Carrageenan

  • Sue Bosworth
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 27, 2004
      The problem may not be the supplier. The problem might be getting the
      product off the ships. Homeland security has passed ordinances that are
      impossible to complete in a timely manner, for example checking each
      container that comes in from overseas. The number of container ships
      sitting in San Diego harbor is huge.
      Thoughts from California.
      Sue

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 27, 2004
        Yes; and I have been told by a friend in overseas trade that they have to submit detailed
        lists of every single box in the big containers 24 hours before the ship leaves international
        waters... And my shippings to USA travel up to seven weeks. Three years ago, it was max.
        10 days.
        But carrageenan has been short before. I seem to remember last time was about 10 years
        ago or thereabouts.
        Not really surprising if I come to think about it; after all it's a natural product. When last
        year's apples are eaten we have to wait for the new harvest.

        Susanne Krause

      • Brent Mydland
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 30, 2004
          Last time was 1993 0r 1992 when Mc Donalds started putting Carrageenan in their Burgers, the carrageenan people werent ready for the hit,however I remember there being 120 differnt kinds from this one company I treied three samples and one worked wonderrfully.....however when I shared this with Colophon they said it was the wrong kind for paper making....Now I use colophons but since I dont do fabric I dont use as much.

          I use 5 lbs a year verses 100 ....

          All the carragenan then was from europe..Ireland hince the name Irish moss.

          Thats all I know not much but something.

          Peace Johnny

          hamburgerbuntpapier_de <hamburgerbuntpapier@...> wrote: Yes; and I have been told by a friend in overseas trade that they have to submit detailed

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Dave Allen
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 30, 2004
            I get carragenan GPI MBL from Gum Products International in Toronto and they tell me it is an identical product to VISCARIN GP 209 which Talus describes in their MSDS http://talasonline.com/photos/msds/carrageenan.pdf
            Perhaps you can find a source in the States for it.
            Dave

            At 04:19 AM 8/27/04 EDT, you wrote:
            >Fellow marblers...
            >
            >Has anyone had any problems getting carrag from FMC? I've been getting it
            >from them for over 15 years. I just ordered another 55 kilos, and they
            >called back to say that they don't have it right now. I asked them when they
            >would have it again, and I was told "maybe next year".
            >
            >I tried asking other questions to the representative in Customer Service, and
            >she appeared rather vague and didn't answer my questions. They seem to be
            >having trouble getting the seaweed. FMC is offering an alternative
            >product...Viscarin GP 109... has anyone tried it for marbling? They say that it is
            >a weaker product, and it cost 65 cents more per kilo than the 209.
            >
            >Does anyone know of any other suppliers for carrag, and where, and for what
            >price per kilo?
            >
            >Any help would be very much appreciated.
            >Thanks.

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            David Allen
            840 Snowdrop Avenue
            Victoria, British Columbia
            CANADA V8Z 2N4
            (250) 888-9380
            http://www.webvictoria.com/beddall

            Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you
            may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.
            John Quincy Adams, 1767 - 1848
          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 30, 2004
              Thanks for this info Dave! Have any of the other Canucks on the list-used
              this source?
              Jill
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
                I am new to paper marbling and I am looking for some advice. I am looking to purchase carrageenan on the internet and have found that food suppliers will sell it much cheaper than those that supply paper marblers. I've also noticed that there are two kinds that the food suppliers sell, kappa and iota. Is there a difference between the carrageenan that is sold through food supply and that which is sold to paper marblers?
              • John Goode
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
                  YES there are at least 40 types of carrageenan.
                  Jump in try the cheap stuff....you have time to save money.
                  The suppliers that supply marblers are professionals that have tested their
                  carrageenans so they know they work with what.

                  I use a multi tude of carrageenans over the years and I know some will not
                  work at all.
                  Some will...it depends on your medium receiveing the painting...is it fiber
                  paper ceramic wood?
                  So paints like carrageenans in many ways....
                  Do stick with tradition please and dont try something thats all out there
                  like methyl cell or starch...ive seen enough mud marbling to tell me ....
                  carrageenan is for me :)
                  John Goode

                • jrhsmum
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 6, 2012
                    I broke down and bought some Jacquard Carrageenan, which was really expensive. I did some research and found out that the seaweed from which it is made is becoming extremely, extremely scarce. A one pound bag now runs about $120 (I was fortunate and mine only cost $60).
                    I have seen food grade carrageenan, one kind is kappa - the other iota, and it is only $30 a pound. I would like to know what others use for marbling besides the Irish Moss seaweed kind. I really can't keep up with a hobby that would cost as much as it currently is.
                  • D or Jer Guffey
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 6, 2012
                      You can purchase carrageenan from Colophon Book Arts http://www.colophonbookarts.com/marblecc.html this is what is listed on her site:

                      Carragheenan
                      (Size-Irish Moss) This is a food product that is the dried extract from Irish moss, not the moss plant itself. It is mixed in a blender and requires no boiling or straining. One pound will make approximately 27 gallons of size. In powdered form, the shelf life is about four (4) years if kept tightly sealed.
                      1/2 lb $32.50
                      1 lb $65.00
                      5 lbs (Bulk) $250.00

                      Hope this helps,

                      d.guffey

                      I broke down and bought some Jacquard Carrageenan, which was really expensive. I did some research and found out that the seaweed from which it is made is becoming extremely, extremely scarce. A one pound bag now runs about $120 (I was fortunate and mine only cost $60).
                      I have seen food grade carrageenan, one kind is kappa - the other iota, and it is only $30 a pound. I would like to know what others use for marbling besides the Irish Moss seaweed kind. I really can't keep up with a hobby that would cost as much as it currently is.

                    • Nancy Akerly
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 6, 2012
                        I can also highly recommend carrageenan and other marbling supplies ordered from Galen Berry at MarbleArt.us. His carrageenan costs $38 per pound. His paints, tools, etc are also reasonably priced. Plus his site is gorgeous, filled with patterns, instructions, and his instruction book is one of the best around. Here is his site:
                        http://marbleart.us/MarblingSupplies.htm

                        Good luck!
                        Nancy Akerly
                        Liberty Grove Paper Arts
                        Sister Bay, WI

                        Sent from my iPad
                        Liberty Grove Paper Arts
                        http://www.libertygrovepaperarts.com

                      • George Reynolds
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 7, 2012
                          I second the thumbs up for Galen Berry and his carrageenan. I have also had good luck with his Alum.
                          George

                          Sent from a distant corner of the galaxy.
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 7, 2012
                            I sell carrageenan as well, and have a brand new batch if anyone wants fresh size.
                            Iris Nevins
                            www.marblingpaper.com